Overview of nutrition
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Six nutrient classes
carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, water, minerals, vitamins
- are those the body cannot make in sufficient
- quantities to meet needs (indispensable) so they must be consumed
do not contain carbon
- fibers, phytochemicals, pigments, additives,
- is a plant chemical that
- is not a nutrient and does not provide energy, but has an effect on health for
- ex: beta carotene from carrots is converted by body into vitamin A
- (anti-cancer, prevents cataracts)
- body needs them in large quantities.
- Carbohydrate, fat, and protein
- body needs them in smaller quantities.
- Water,vitamins, and minerals
- do not provide energy
- Energy is measured in Calories
- (calories, kilocalories, kcalories, kcal).
- Calories are so tiny that they are normally measured in kcalories= 1000
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview