Ch 1 - Vanderschaff
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The amount of matter in a physical object
All things visible or invisible are classified as...
Matter or enegy
Anything that occupies space and has shape or form
An atom is...
The fundamental building block of matter
The primary characteristic of matter is...
- 1.) The force of exerted by an object under the influence of gravity
- 2.) Used to describe the mass of an object in a gravitational field
- -The ability to do work
- -Has different forms
- -Measure in Joules
- -For radiology..referred to as eV (electron volt)
7 types of energy...
The removal of an orbital electron from an atom
An ejected electron (-) and an atom (+)
3 forms of electromagnetic radiation
2 main sources of radiation
Natural and Man-made
1 Sv (Sievert) = ____ rem ?
3 types of natural radiation
- Cosmic Rays
- Terrestrial Radiation
- Radionuclides in human body (Potassium 40)
REM stands for....
Radiation Equivalent Man
What is the largest source of man-made radiation?
Examples of Man-Made Radiation
- Nuclear power plants
- Airport surveilance
- Smoke Alarms
Describe a Crooke's Tube
- -Made by William Crookes
- -Cathode rays (electrons) in a gas-filled glass tube
- -Forerunner of modern fluorescent light
- -Mr. Roentgen experimented with a Crooke's Tube
Mr. Roentgen discovered what and when?
- -"Barium Platinocyanide" that was used on plates and fluoresced
- -Nov 8, 1895 ... xrayed wife's hand (Bertha) in 1896 ... won nobel prize in 1901
Who performed the first xray and when?
Mr. Roentgen... Feb 1896
Who discovered the fluoroscope and when?
Thomas Edison / 1898
Who was the first person to die from exposure and was Thomas Edison's assistant?
Early radiaton injuries were cause by? (2 things)
Low energy tubes and long exposure times
Early and common injuries? (3)
- Erythema (skin damage)
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Anemia (low red blood cell count)
the measurement of electric current
When was the Coolidge tube and Snook Transformer introduced and why was this a good thing?
1910; Decreased amount of low energy electrons and exposure times...
Number of injuries decreased
What does NCRP stand for and what did they establish? When did this happen?
National Council on Radiation Proetction and Measurements... established occupational and non-occupational exposure limits ; 1987
What is the ICRP and when was it created?
1966; International Commission on Radiological Protection
3 Cardinal Rules of Radiation Protection
2 Primary devices that minimize radiation exposure...
Examples of Protective Apparel and Protective Barriers...
- -Lead aprons, lead gloves, thyroid shield, gonadal shield
- -Lead-lined walls or glass
When should you use gonadal shields?
On anyone who is of child-bearing age...
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview