The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the factors that influence anesthesia
- Physical status
- Availability of equipment
- Familiarity with drugs
- Nature of procedure
- Special patient circumstances
- Availability of trained personnel
What are the main things to look for physically in a patient?
- Cardiovascular problems
- Respiratory problems
- Liver & kidney problems
What equipment needs to be available?
- Needle & syringe
- Inhalation anesthesia machine
What is the role of the LVT when it comes to the availability of equipment?
- Keep everything well organized & well stocked
- Be able to find, use, maintain, and order equipment & supplies
What procedures can we use anesthesia for?
- Diagnostic test
What organs can anesthesia cause damage to?
Which anesthesia is the safest & when should it be used?
- Used during really long procedures
Older drugs usually cost ___.
Why do we fast the patient before anesthesia?
Prevents vomiting or regurgitation
What is the difference between vomiting & regurgitation?
- Vomiting - reverse the process of swallowing (uses muscle contractions)
- Regurgitation - passive process, no muscle contraction
How long should we withhold food before anesthesia? Water?
- Food - 12 hours
- Water - 2 hours
To empty out the entire GI system for GI surgery we would withhold food & water for how long?
- Food - 24 hours
- Water - 8-12 hours
Which patients should we avoid fasting? And why?
- Birds, small exotics, puppies & kittens under 3 months old
- Will get hypoglycemic
Define emetic drug
Makes them vomit
Define antiemetic drugs
Keeps them from vomiting
When do we take out the cuffed endotracheal tube?
Until the animal chews during recovery...let's us know they have their swallowing reflex back
What are the different types of anesthesia?
Where do we give general type of anesthesia?
What is local anesthesia?
- Patient is awake
- Blocks the feeling in a small area of the body
How is local anesthesia given?