Explain the concept of Blood in TCM and its reationship to Qi.
- In TCM theory, blood and Qi are inseparable. Blood is the "mother" of
- Qi; it carries Qi and also provides nutrients for its movement. In
- turn, Qi is the "commander" of the blood. This means that Qi is the
- force that makes blood flow throughout the body and provides the
- intelligence that guides it to the places where it needs to be. Blood
- and Qi also affect one another and have the dynamic ability to transfer
- various properties back and forth. For example, after labor and
- delivery, a woman may develop a fever. TCM understands this fever to be
- related to blood loss, not normally an infection. Losing too much blood
- causes an overall Qi deficiency. When there is a Qi deficiency, the body
- cannot function properly and therefore presents with a fever.