The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the basic components of the cell?
- Cell Membrane
- Endoplasmic Reticulum SER/RER
- Golgi Apparatus
- Cell Surface structures
- Endoplasmic structures
What is the purpose of the CELL MEMBRANE?
(aka plasma membrane)
- Protects the cell
- Mediates nutrition/secretion
- Communication to cells and their environment
- Eliminates waste products
constructed as lipid bi-layers.
What is the NUCLEUS?
*Isolated from cytoplams by the nuclear envelope
- Transport material to/from interior.
- DNA, RNA
- Protein synthesis
- Control center of the cell
Describe the functions of the two.
SER: Synthesizes lipids, metabolize carbs, detoxifies drugs/alcohol.
RER: Synthesize proteins, transports and stores molecules.
Modifies, packages, and sorts newly synthesized proteins for secretion, inclusion in new plasma membrane, or lysosomal enzyme synthesis.
- "Powerhouse of cell"
- ATP production
- Lipid metabolism (w/ SER)
Name the 3 cytoskeletal elements
- Provides structural support
- Organelle and cellular motility
- Transport of materials
- Cytoskeletal elements
- 1) Microtubules
- 2) Microfilaments (Actin)
- 3) Intermediate Filaments
CELL SURFACE STRUCTURES
- 1. Microvilli increase surface area and cell surfaces.
- (AKA: Brush Borders or Striate Borders)
2. Cilia move material along the surface of cells.
3. Junctional complexes link cells together.
About how many cells are in the human body?
How many TYPES of cells are in the human body?
About 50 trillion cells in the human body
About 400 cell TYPES
What is the matrix?
Cells grouped as tissues; cells and their non-living products.