Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
what is taxonomy?
is a branch of biology that is concerned with calssifying organisms according to thier common features
what is species?
- 1. similar in appearance
- 2. can reproduce with each other commonly in nature
- 3. must produce fertile offspring
Is a false killer whale and bottlenose dolphin that mate and have a wholphin a new species?
no, because they dont reproduce commonly in nature, us humans put them in a tank so they cross paths and reproduced
what are the 3 domains?
Bacteria, Eukarya, Achaea
What are all the names, order and levels of classification?
Drunk King Phillip Came Over For Good Scotch
What are examples of each level of classification?
- Kingdom: animalia, animals
- Phylum: chordata, animals that have notochord
- Class: mammalia, mammals that produce milk and have fur
- Order: carnivora, meat eaters
- Family: felidae, domestic cats
- Genus: pathera, wild large cats
- Species: pardue, broken black rings, like leopards
What is bacteria?
more diverse, most widespread and most common prokaryotes
what are introns?
what are archaea?
are rare, ancient prokaryotes that exist in harsh environments
How do Archaea live in such harsh environments?
- because of their structure, the branching of the fatty acids
- - their proteins and DNA have adaptations
Whats the difference btwn bacteria and archaea domains?
Bacteria: has no histones, no introns, cell wall made up of peptidogycan
Archaea: different plasma membranes, DNA has histones, introns, no peptidogycan
Eukarya Domain: What are protists?
unicellular, aquatic eukaryotes and membrane bound
what are fungi?
multicellular eukaryotes that carry decomposition, found on land
how do fungi carry out decomposition?
when organism releases organic juices and carry out external digestion
Define Plants and Animals.
Plants: multicellular eukaryotes that carry out photosynthesis
Animals: multi-cellular eukaryotes that breakdown food within specialized cavities, internal digestion
What are 4 purposes for classification and examples
1. allows for organization of all organisms in universe
2. provides info about its common charateristic ( Ex. animalia, knows something about organism )
- 3. reflects evolutionary history of an organism
- (ex. closely related ancesors )
4. allows for naming of every organism in the universe
What are the 2 parts of scientific naming? and give some examples.
1. Genus name
: written first and 1st letter is capitalized
2. Species name
: follows the genus name, and is not capitalized
- Ex. Homo sapiens ( means thinking man )
- Panthera pardus (leopard)