Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Swallowing process involves ____ muscles, ____ cranial nerves, and ____ cervical nerve roots
55 muscles, 6 cranial nerves, 2 cervical nerve roots
Swallow is triggered where and how?
- With sensory input from tongue, tonsils, faucial arches, and posterior pharyngeal wall
- Then transmitted to MEDULLA OBLONGATA AND PONTINE RETICULAR SYSTEM
- through the VII, IX, and X nerves
- Info is sent to the NUCLEAUS AMBIGUOUS which initiates the pharyngeal swallow
- Info is sent BACK to mucles that help swallow through the V, VII, IX, X, and XII nerves
The most sensitive oropharyngeal mucosal recepetor region for stimulation of the swallow are innervated by
- fibers of the GLOSSOPHARYNGEAL NERVE via the pharyngeal plexus and by the SUPERIOR LARYNGEAL NERVE via the vagus nerve.
- THE SLN AND CN9 SEND INFO TO NUCLEAUS TRACTUS SOLITARIES (NTS) in the brainstem. THe NTS is the principal sensory nucleus of the pharynx and esophagus.
- SLN is the main affarent pathway in swallowing
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview