The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the spinal meninges.
- Series of specialized membranes that provide physical stability and shock absorption for the spinal cord.
- Blood vessels branching within deliver oxygen and nutrients to spinal cord.
- These ar continuous with the cranial meninges.
What are the three layers of the spinal meninges?
- Dura mater
- Arachnoid mater
- Pia mater
Describe the pia mater.
- Innermost layer.
- Meshwork of elastic and collagen fibers.
- Bound to underlying nervous tissue.
- Highly vascular.
Describe the Arachnoid mater.
- Middle meningeal layer.
- Includes: Simple squamous epithelium, network of collagen and elastin fibers connecting layer to pia mater, and subarachnoid space.
Describe the subarachnoid space.
Contains cerebrospinal fluid that acts as a shock absorber and diffusion medium.
What is a lumbar puncture?
It is a spinal tap that withdraws CSF.
Describing the dura mater.
- Outermost covering.
- Contains dense collagen fibers oriented longitudinally.
- Has narrow subdural space seperating from arachnoid mater.