Option D - Evolution (D3)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the 7 level taxa (in order)
- Kingdom (King)
- Phylum (Philip)
- Class (Came)
- Order (Over)
- Family (For)
- Genus (Great)
- Species (Sushi)
or whatever other silly phrase you use!
What relevance is the foramen magnum?
In the human forms it has moved forward to the centre of base of skull.
Give the Kingdom to species names for man
- Kingdom = Animalia
- Phylum = Chordata
- Class = Mammalia
- Order = Primate
- Family = Hominidae
- Genus = Homo
- Species = sapiens
What is an isotope?
An element with an unusual number of neutrons compared with normal
What isotope might you use to find the age of something that was once living?
What is the half life of 14C?
What is a half life?
The time it takes for half of the radioactive isotope to decay
What isotope might you use to age a rock? (non living)
What is the half life of 40K?
1.3 billion years
Describe the major anatomical features that define humans as primates.
- 1, Grasping pentadactyl limbs with long fingers and an opposable thumb
- 2. Stereoscopic vision with forward facing eyes on a flattened face giving overlapping fields of view
- 3. Mobile arms, with shoulder joints allowing movement in three planes and the bones of the shoulder girdle allowing weight to be transferred via the arms
- 4. Skull modified for upright posture
In hominid evolution, which species have CO-existed, and when?
- Homo. erectus, H. neanderthalensis and H. sapiens co-existed approx. 100,000 years ago.
- Australopithecus afarensis and A. africanus co-existed approx. 3 million years ago.
Give some info about Ardipithecus ramidus
- •Lived approx. 5.8 – 5.4 million years ago
- •In Ethiopia
- •Believed to be at the split between organisms that became more human-like and those that became more chimp-like. Has many ape-like characteristics
- •Canine are more hominid-like and not sharp and shorter and less projecting than ape-like canines
Give some info about Australopithecus afarensis
- •Lived approx. 4-2.5 million years ago
- •In Eastern Africa
- •Most famous one is ‘Lucy’
- •Tall lower jaw, large molars and projecting face
- •Cranial capacity = 380-430cm3
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview