Extinction and conservation
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Species that find themselves at a selective ________ go extinct?
Species that find themselves at a _______ advantage evolve rapidly to fill the vacant ecological niches?
What is causing the current wave of extinction to run at a leve many times greater than the natural rate?
The fastest mass extinction in Earth's history is largely due to:
- habitat destruction by humans
- overhunting of species and overexploitation of natural resources
- human overpopulation
- spread of agriculture
Genetic diversity (biodiversity) is important to humans for:
- raw materials
- leisure, cultural and aestetic value
- supply of alternative alleles in order to improve vigour an disease resistance in domesticated plants
How can we protect genetic diversity?
- National parks / wildlife reserves
- Rare breed farm
- Captive breeding
- Cell (gene) banks
Which of these are on site?
National parks and wildlife reserves
Which of these are off site?
Rare breed farms, captive breeding and cell (gene) banks
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview