6.3 - Classification & Anatomy of Bones: Learning Objectives:
1) Identify the characteristics of long, short, flat, and irregular bones.
2) Describe the gross anatomy of the long bone.
3) Compare the microscopic anatomy of compact bone & spongy bone.
What are the four classes of bone?
- 1) Long bones ~ (most common shape) have a greater length than width.
- 2) Short bones ~ have a length nearly equal to their width. Interior is spongy bone.
- 3) Flat bones ~ flat, thin surfaces.
- 4) Irregular bones ~ elaborate, complex shape (hip bone).