The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the two types of reflex developments?
- Innate reflexes
- Acquired reflexes
What are the two types of reflexes based on their nature of response?
- Somatic reflexes
- Visceral reflexes
What are the two types of reflexes based on the complexity of their circuits?
- Polysynaptic reflexes
- Monosynaptic reflexes
What are the two types of reflexes based on their processing sites?
- Spinal reflexs
- Cranial reflexes
Describe innate reflexes.
Connections formed between neurons genetically or developmentally programmed.
Describe acquired reflexes.
- Learned rather than preestablished.
- Enhanced by repetition.
Describe Somatic reflexes.
- Involuntary control of skeletal muscles
- Example: withdrawal reflex
- Rapid response that can later be supplemented voluntarily
Describe viceral reflexes.
Control or adjust activities of smooth & cardiac muscle, glands, and adipose tissues.
Describe polysynaptic reflexes.
- Involve at least one interneuron, one sensory neuron, and one motor neuron
- Longer delay between stimulus and response due to increased number of synapses
- Produce more complex reflexes
Describe monosynaptic reflexes.
- Simplest reflex arc involving one sensory and one motor neuron
- Faster response time due to only one synapse
Describe Spinal reflexes.
- Occur in nuclei of spinal cord
- Two types: Single segmental (within one spinal segment) , Intersegmental (multiple segments)
Describe cranial nerves.
Occur in nuclei of brain.