Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is a metal?
solid at room temperature, except mercury= liguid silver gray except copper= redish shiny, malluable good conductors of heat and elecricity, heat and electricity travel through metals.
what is a puresubstance?
has one type of matter and constant properties
what is electrolosis of water?
- chemical change
- electrical energy used to break water molecules apart
- to make hydrogen and oxygen
- elecrolysis happens when and electrical current flows through water
what are 5 clues a chemical change has taken place.
- 1) bubbles of a new gas are formed
- 2) heat or light is given off
- 3) new color appears
- 4) a solid material forms into a liquid
- 5) the change can not be reversed
what is a neutron?
what is an electron?
what is a proton?
what are halogens?
what are nobel gases
what are alkaline earth metals?
very high reactive metals
what is a chemical change
- a new substance isformed by a chemical reaction
- atoms dont changes- changes the way atoms are linked up
what is a phisical change?
- change of state ( icecube-water-gas)
- change of shape (paper tear into small peices)
- doesn't change the way atoms are linked up
how to test for hydrogen
insert a glowing splint into a test tube of gasif it will make a pop sound then it is hydrogen
how to test for carbon dioxide
- mix the gas with clear colourless limewater
- if the water will turn cloudy
- then it is carbon dioxide
how to test for oxygen
- insert a glowing splint in a test tube of gas
- if it burst into flames then is is oxygen
what is a mechanical mixture
- type of mixture
- 2 parts are visible
- exampl... water nd oil
what is solution?
- type of mixture
- some parts that make this are invisible
- only see on part
what is a mixture?
- contains 2 types of matter
- keep of there own properties
- examples...sand and salt
what is a compound?
- type of pure substance
- made up of 2 or more diffrent atoms
- can be broken down to form new substances
what is an element?
- type of puresubstance
- one kind of atom
- cant be broken down
- examples... gold,oxygen
what are alkali metals?
high reactive metals
what is a non-metal?
doesnt have the properties of metals.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview