Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Trying to reach a newset point.
- Chills, heat seeking behaviors, muscle tone increase,
- nail cyanoticputting on more clothes.
"Flush stage"Set point reached.
- Increase pulse & resp. warm skin, glossy eyes,
- decrease appitie, restlessness, thirst, malise, seziures.
Fever breaks, setpoint back to normal, relaxed state, fluid replacement
- If healthy, not dangerous until 106.
- If 106= medical emergency
- If comprimised health treat earlier.
Sulfonamides ( Bactrim, Septra, Pediazole)
Can be allergic if already allergic to other sulfa drugs. Derivatives such as the sulfonomide diuretics (furosemide, acetazolmide) & oral hypoglycemics ( sulfonylureas, diabenese, macronase, glucotrol)
Penicillins (Amoxicillin, Penicillin V, Augmentin)
Allergic reactions biggest problem, if severe, anaphylaxis.
Cause ineffectiveness of BC pills
Aminoglycosides (Streptomycin, Gentamycin, Neomycin)
- Can cause damage to the 8th cranial nerve (Acoutic/ auditory) Ototoxicity.
- Early S&S= tinnitis. Can cause deafness & severe vertigo. Damage can be temp or perm.
- Also can cause nephrotoxicity
Can cause aplastic anemia & other blood dyscrasias due to suppression of bone marrow activity.
Tetracyclines (Doxycycline, monocycline, vibromycin)
Can cause yellow, gray, or brown discoloration of childrens teeth with short or prolonged treatment during period of tooth development.
Contraindicated in last half of pregnancy, breast feeding, & children up to age 8.
Also photosensitivity is common!!!
- DO not admin with milk, dairy, food, antacids or FE!!!-give w/ full glass of water on an empty stomach at least 1hr before meals or 2 hrs after a mealfor better absorption.
Cephalosporins (1-4th generationKeflex, Ancef, Ceclor, Zinacef, Suprax, Rocephin)
Nephrotoxicity, esp in the elderly & pts with renal problem. ( so must decrease dose)
Cross allergies with PCN
Fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Levaquin, Tequin, Trovan)
Broad spectrum. General well tolerated usually taken at home.
Macrolides (Biaxin, Zythromax, Erythromycin)
Antacids decrease absorption.
Increase effects of anticoagulants & digoxin
- good against resistant strep & staph.
- Only IV or IM
Contraindicated to PCN, Cephlosporin, Betalactrums
Peak & Trough
blood testing to check theraputic drug level to prevent toxicity.
If too high= toxic Too low= Inneffective
Peak=1 1/2 hr after administration
Trough= 30 min prior to next dose
Are NEVER Pushed !!!