The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mass Number vs Atomic Number
- MN = number of protons and Neutrons
- AN = Number of protons
Atomic Weight/Molar Mass is given in _____ units and is equal to _____.
A mole is _____ number and is equal to _____ in mass.
- avagadros number 6.022e23
- 1 g
Characteristics of metals include:
- Conduct heat + electricity
- Lose electrons to form + ions
- Electrons exist in sea of electrons
Characteristics of nonmetals include:
- lower MP than metals
- form covalent bonds with eachother
- form (-) ions
What group are alkali metals, alkali earth metals, halogens, and Noble gases in?
- Alkali metals = 1A
- Alkaline Earth Metals = 2A
- Halogens = 7A
- Noble Gases = 8A
What type of ions do metals, nonmetals, and transition metals form?
- Metals -> Cations
- NM -> Anions
- Transition metlas -> ions but lose from S orbital then d (looking to even out d)
Anion vs Cation vs Nuetral atom atomic radius
- Anion = Much bigger (especially if added shell)
- Cation = Much smaller (lose shell)
- When compared to neutral atom
Shielding: electrons between nuclease and electron in question "block" some of nucleuses attraction (Zeff)
Define Effective Nuclear Charge
- ENC (Zeff) = amount of charge felt by electron in question after sheilding
- Zeff = nuclear charge minus avg number of electrons between nucleus and electron in question
Def ionization energy + 1st IE vs 2nd IE etc.
- Ionization energy: amount of energy required to detach an electron from a nuetral atom
- 2nd IE: amount of energy to detach second electron (requires much more energy)
what are the 5 periodic trends and how are the trends oriented
- increase left - right / bottom to top
- energy of ionization
- Electron affinity
- increase left - right / top to bottom
- Atomic Radius
- Metallic character