The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Thales (600 B.C.)
Proposed origin of life from gradual change.
- All living things could be placed on a scale at of nature
- The scale was a ladder of complexity and life did not change
- Sweedish botanist that tried to classify all of life
- Thought hhis system would show the diversity of "God's word"
- Father of Palentology
- The deeper he found fossils the more dissimilar they were to life today.
- cuvier believed that each strate was represendet by a catastrophe (catastrophism)
Geologist who believed that the earth was shaped gradually
Also a geologist who adds that the geological process have not changed over time (uniformitaranism)
Jean Baptiste Lamark (1744-1829)
- the more an animal used a structure, the more it improved; unused structures waste away
- Ideahs were disproved because individuals cannot evolve
Charles Darwin (1809-1882)
- Started studying medicine but quit to study theology
- Spent time on the HMS Beagle traveling and documenting many species
- PUBLISHED: ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES BY MEANS OF NATURAL SELECTION in 1859
- Book does not talk about human evolution
Alfred Russel Wallace (1823-1913)
- similar conclusions as Darwin
- Convinced Darwin to Publish book