Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Bacterial Food Infections:
Caused by food contaminated by large colonies of different types of bacteria. They are:
Salmonellosis, Shigellosis, Listeriosis
Bacterial Food Poisoning:
Caused by bacterial toxins that have been produced in the food. they are:
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning & Clostroidial Food Poisoning
Viral Food Contamination
Colds, Flu, Hepatitis
Parasitic Food Contaminants
- Roundworms (Trichina) found in pork
- Flatworms (Tapeworm) in beef and pork
Environmental Food Contaminants
Lead and mercury (heavy metals)
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning
- Illness quickly: 1-6 hours
- Cramping, pain, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, fever, shock
- Usually spread through infection on hands of preparer
- Filled bakery goods, processed meats, cheeses, "... salads", and caseroles.
- Heating kills bacteria, but not toxins they produced.
Clostroidial Food Poisoning
- Spores are widespread in the environment (soil, water, dust, refuse)
- Multiplies in cooked meat and toxins form in food held at warm or room temps for extended periods
- Usually the cooked meat is improperly prepared or refrigerated
Clostroidial Botulism Food Poisoning
- Serious, often fatal toxin
- Mild discomfort to death within 24 hrs
- Only A,E,B, and F Botulisms effect humans.
- Widespread in soil worldwide.
Salmonellosis Bacterial Food Infection
- 4,000 cases each year
- Grow in common foods: milk, custard, egg, fillings, salad dressings & seafood from polluted waters- shellfish, oysters, clams
- Mild to severe diarrhea devlop up to 72 hrs later
- Lasts 4-7 days.
Shigellosis Bacterial Food Infection
- 18,000 cases annually but probably 20x's more.
- Grows easily- especially in milk (infans & children)
- Spread by feces, flies, milk and unsanitary handling
- Symptoms in 12-50 hours
- Cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, blood in stool or mucus.
Listeriosis Bacterial Food Infection
- Occurs widely in the environment
- Fatal and severe (Rare) to those at risk: pregnant, infants, elderly, weak immunse systems
- Headache, diarrhea, pneumonia, sepsis, meningitis, endocarditis
- Found in soft cheese, poultry, seafood, raw milk, raw liquid eggs, & meat products