us hist ch 8
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
who won the election of 1800?
where was the winner supported?
- thomas jefferson; ties w/ aaron burr, wins by one vote in house of reps.
- the south and the west
jeffersons tombstone says...
here is buried t.j. author of the declaration of independence. of the statue of virginia for religious freedom and father of the univ. of virginia
what is pell mell and who started the tradition?
- seating of official dinners w/o regard to rank
- thomas jefferson
what was thomas jefferson economical plan?
he kept hamilitons plan but reduced debt
the judiciary act of 1801
- 16 new federal judges
- jefferson repealed; marbury vs james madison supreme court decided if constitutional
marbury vs james madison..
- marbury nominated as justice of the peace by adams but not granted commision by sec of state, james madison.
- sued madison for commission but court against marbury
- leader of tripoli wanted protection $ for US merch ships in med. sea
- jefferson sends ships fights on and off for 4 yrs
- peace treaty signed in 1805
napolean sells LA b/c... (3) and for how much
- suffered misfortunes in santa domingo
- hoped territory would keep US strong against britian
- didnt want US in arms w/ british
15 mill 3cents/ acre
lewis and clark gave us..
- rich harvest of scientific observation
- adv. stories
- trip last 2.5 yrs
essax case of 1805
- british ruled that carrying spanish and french goods to the US and reexporting them wouldnt exempt them from seizure.
- british confiscate american ships
embargo act of 1807
no exports to all other counties
1809 giles enforcement act
president allowed to use militia against smugglers
war of 1812 was worst fought war b/c
- disunity was widespread
- only minority wanted to go
- army was inadequete
key battle in war of 1812 and why?
whats important about the attack on balitmore?
battle of plattsberg 1814 b/c it protected US from full invasion
frace scott key looked at flag at ft. mcnenry wrote poem
treaty of ghent
- ended war
- agree to stop fighting and restore all conqured territory, and set joint commission to settle boundry disputes for canada
battle of NO
- after peace treaty
- andrew jackson led forces
- protect mississippi
- feared british would bring freed slaves,french and spanish into the conflict if succesful
tariff of 1816
1st tax not protected and not for revenue
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview