Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the social contexts in which people live
group of people who share a culture and a territory
corners in life that people occupy because of their place in society
-jobs, race, gender
- -understanding culture
- -more emphasis on artifacts, authority, and language
- production and distribution of the material goods and services of a society
- choices of production and consumption
- how everything is made
- what they cost
- how distributed
- politics and gov't
- how people attain ruling positions
- how they maintain and consequences of rulers' actions
- how gov'ts are formed
- how operate
- how related to other institutions of society
- sleep and dreams
- abuse recovery
See things as a whole
- focues primarily on industrialized and postindustrialized
- don't concentrate on a single social institution
- stress external to determine influence and how they adjust
Origins of Society- 3 main events
- 1. Social upheaval of the Industrial Revolution
- -couldn't rely on tradition to provide answers to difficult life questions
- 2. Social upheaval of revolution (American and French)
- -swept away existing social orders
- 3. Imperialism
- -exposed to radically different ways of life
- positivism- what holds society together?
- what creates social order? anarchy? chaos?
- what does society change?
- Purpose of sociology- to discover social principles but apply them to social reform
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview