Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Name the core values.
Critical thinking, caring, holism, information technology, nursing role development, and safe practice.
- Caring is having concern and empathy; support, sharing, and respect; highest commitment; value based.
- It means that things do matter.
- A nurses attitude affects how they care for a patient.
Describe critical thinking.
- Critical thinking is a learned process/developed skill. It is making decisions based on self reflections, rationale and reasoning within the scope of practice.
- Objectivity- look at situations
- What's important?
- Recognizing & Prioritizing
- What are the options?
- Informed decisions
- Evaluating/making conclusions
- Holism is the unity of mind, body, spirit and environment.
- Nonjudgmental providers of care. Spirituality and diversity.
- Religion/spirituality, culture, age, family, life experiences, physical and psychological, intellectual.
Describe nursing role development.
- Nursing role development is accountability, honesty, integrity and fidelity (trust).
- Nurses are accountable for their patients first.
- Nursing is one of the most trusted roles/professions.
Describe safe practice.
- Safe practice is safe, quality, patient care.
- Standards of Care (the minimum level of care to ensure quality outcomes)
- Federal, state, local laws
- Organizational standards (Joint Commision, ANA)
- Agency policies and procedures
Describe information management and technology.
- Information management technology is basic data collection using a variety of tools.
- It is the newest core value.
- It has a huge impact on nursing because it makes our job easier.
- EMRs (electronic medical records), electronic medication access devices, medical equipment, PDA's and others (fax machines, phones, PC's, etc).
- Pros- saves time and organized
- Cons-Reliance, back up, depersonalization, constant changes, learning curve, confidentiality issues.