The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the core values.
Critical thinking, caring, holism, information technology, nursing role development, and safe practice.
- Caring is having concern and empathy; support, sharing, and respect; highest commitment; value based.
- It means that things do matter.
- A nurses attitude affects how they care for a patient.
Describe critical thinking.
- Critical thinking is a learned process/developed skill. It is making decisions based on self reflections, rationale and reasoning within the scope of practice.
- Objectivity- look at situations
- What's important?
- Recognizing & Prioritizing
- What are the options?
- Informed decisions
- Evaluating/making conclusions
- Holism is the unity of mind, body, spirit and environment.
- Nonjudgmental providers of care. Spirituality and diversity.
- Religion/spirituality, culture, age, family, life experiences, physical and psychological, intellectual.
Describe nursing role development.
- Nursing role development is accountability, honesty, integrity and fidelity (trust).
- Nurses are accountable for their patients first.
- Nursing is one of the most trusted roles/professions.
Describe safe practice.
- Safe practice is safe, quality, patient care.
- Standards of Care (the minimum level of care to ensure quality outcomes)
- Federal, state, local laws
- Organizational standards (Joint Commision, ANA)
- Agency policies and procedures
Describe information management and technology.
- Information management technology is basic data collection using a variety of tools.
- It is the newest core value.
- It has a huge impact on nursing because it makes our job easier.
- EMRs (electronic medical records), electronic medication access devices, medical equipment, PDA's and others (fax machines, phones, PC's, etc).
- Pros- saves time and organized
- Cons-Reliance, back up, depersonalization, constant changes, learning curve, confidentiality issues.