Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is nursing?
- Nursing is caring for people who are ill/terminally ill.
- Nursing is acting as an advocate.
- It is not a cut and dry position.
Where did the term nurse come from?
The term nurse came from the Latin language. Nutrise meant nurture which became nurse.
What is the most dated definition of nursing?
- The work of caring for the sick or injured or infirm (most updated)
- A profession focused on assisting individuals, families, and communities in attaining, maintaining, and recovering optimal health and functioning.
- An art and science focused on promoting quality of life throughout the life span.
What is the ANA Definition of Nursing?
The ANA definition of Nursing is:
The diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual and potential health problems (1980)
The protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocay in the care of individuals, families, communities, and populations (2004)
What is the ICN Definition of Nursing?
Nursing encompasses autonomous and collaborative care of individuals of all ages, families, groups and communities, sick or well and in all settings. Nursing includes the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and the care of ill, disabled, and dying people. Advocacy, promotion of a safe environment, research, participation in shaping health policy and in patient and health systems management, and education are also key nursing roles.