Human Sexuality Test 4- Sexual Orientation
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
an individual whose primary erotic, psychological, emotional, and social interest is in a member of the same sex
term used for people born after 1970; used to diffuse negativity of the word and blur boundaries between homosexual subgroups- "Generation Q"
- preference for the sex one is attracted to
National Health and Social Life Survey says...
- 1.4% of women
- 2.8 % of men
- (identify themselves as homosexual)
person who engages in sexual activity with both sexes, and recognizes a desire to do so
Types of Bisexuality
- real orientation
- transitory, temporary involvement
- transitional, changing from one orientation to another
unhappy heterosexual experiences (research does not support this idea)
seduced by a teacher/or other influential person
- influenced by family background and relationships with parents;
- dominating mother;
- emotionally detached father
more evidence of a factor for women
What percentage of people think people are born gay?
What percentage of gays think people are born gay?
- Adult brain differences
- adult hormone levels
- genetic factors- no known
- gender nonconformity
irrational fears of homosexuals or fear and self-loathing of homosexual feelings in oneself
Hate Crimes Statistics Act
- provides funding to document hate crimes in US.
- 29 states have hate crime laws that include proscriptions against antigay violence
Who is more tolerant of homosexuality?
- 18-29 year olds
- The older the person, the less he is tolerant of homosexuality
award show for members of the media who promote equal rights for sexual minorities
Process of "coming out"
- self acknowledgement
- self acceptance
- passing- maintaining the false image of heterosexuality; jobs, social position can be jeopardized
- telling the family
percentage of homosexuals in steady relationships
- 40-80% of lesbians
- 40-60% of gay men
homosexuals raising children
- 33% of lesbian and female bisexual couples
- 22% of gay and bisexual males
lesbian biological mothers
Which was the first state to allow gay/lesbian couples to adopt?
Jew Jersey- 1998
- currently: CA, CT, IL, MA, NY, VM, DC permit adoptions
- banned: FL, UT, MS
What decade was gay rights established in the US?
The Stonewall Incident
- served as a catalyst for formation of gay rights groups and activities such as Gay Pride Week
Goals of the Gay Rights Movement
- decriminalization of Private sexual behavior
- positive rights
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview