What does writing in toungues have to do with the linguistic diversity of the colonial world?
- Older settlements than New England were: Saint Augstine, Jamestown, Santa Fe, Albany, New York- all of
- these settlements are older than Boston.
- English was not the only text in which early North American texts were written.
- The nations diverse tongues were due to:
oLarge initial immigration to Boston in the 1630s
o The high articulation of puritan cultural ideals
o The early establishment of a college and printing press in Cambridge gave new England a substantial edge
o Before 1700 other languages remained actively in use not only for mundane purposes but also as expressive vehicles.
o Printing was established in the American colonies before it was allowed in most of England.
o Until 1693, England had confined printing to four locations: London, York, Oxford & Cambridge
o 250 works total were published by the end of the 17thc.
o Indian nations vs. colonial powers vs. Self-regarding aspect of Puritans vs. diverse tongues.
o Religion is a dominant theme in the American press of 1700’s & was linked to strong social issues- Salem Witch Trials
- o One of the earliest Anti-slavery works was The
- Selling of Joseph written by Samuel Sewell- will have great importance to future America
o Almanacs- made Benjamin Franklins fortune as a printer and I was Franklin who converted the everday form into a vehicle of rare wit and sturdy English
o Governmental publications.