Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Rash over mucocutaneous junctions.
- Wt loss
- Increased infections
Thiamine (B1) (wernickes)
- Wenicke's Encephalopathy =
Thiamine (B1) (dry beri beri)
- A peripheral neuropathy (from the original sinhalese, 'weak, weak'):
- Difficulty walking
- Tingling\loss of sensation in feet
- Loss of muscle function\wasting
Thiamine (B1) Wet beri beri
- A cardiovascular presentation (from the arabic 'bhur-bhari', 'sailors asthma'): Basically just CHF
- Peripheral oedema
- Pleuraleffusions and ascites
- The 3 d's of Pellagra:
- Dementia (confusion)
Often occurs in people whose diet consists mainly of maize.
Vitamin D deficiency (1-25 cholecalciferol)
Can becaused by decreased exposure to sunlight (muslim women), liver or renal failure (deficit in synthesis):
- Bone pain
- Proximal myopathy
- Pelvic x-ray shows looser's zones
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview