Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are some of the things you assess on a patient? (10)
- strength (mmt)
- balance coordination
- symmetry differences right to left
What does A&Ox3 mean?
alert and oriented x3...person, place, time
Before begining treatment, you assess skin condition, what should you look for?
- muscle guarding
When should you assess skin condition?
before, during, and after
What post treatment changes should you note?
- pt reports more/less pain
- skin color
- skin integrity
- treatment tolerance
- muscle guarding (improve/worsen)
What is the definition of pain?
unpleasant sensation and emotional experience usually caused by tissue damage or noxious stimulant
What is the pattern theory?
we need to track the pattern of pain (if knee hurts worse in morning or at night)
What is the gate-control theory?
Melzack and Wall
is we stimulate another nervous system other than the pained one, itlll kinda close off the gait to pain
What is acute pain?
- short term; begining of pain
- 0-4 days ish
- red, hot, swollen
What is subacute pain?
- little healing happening, calming down
- 4-14 days ish
What type of pain lasts over 14ish days?
What type of pain is felt in a location different (distant) from the cause of pain?
heart attack pts may feel pain in left arm
What are pain receptors called?
What are some types of pain scales?
- McGill - has pic and questionaire
- VAS (visual analog scale) - mark x on scale
- 0-10 verbal - say number
- oucher - smiley face for kids
We use heat for what type of pain?
We use cold for what type of pain?
What should we document after treatment?
- position during treatment
- treatment - modality, intensity, what area, any changes in area
- pt tolerance
What factors play a role in the decision of a modality?
- depth of modality penetration
- depth of tissue to be treated
- size of area to be treated
- vigorous, moderate, or mild heating
- primary treatment goals - tissue nutrition, extensibility, pain relief
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview