Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the first service contacts a client usually has with a salon?
- Scalp Massage
Who is responsible for the safety, comfort, and protection of the client's skin, hair and clothing?
The Salon Professional
What is the purpose of shampooing?
to cleanse the scalp and hair by removing dirt, oils and product build up.
What dictates how often a client's hair must be shampooed?
as often as necessary.
According to the textbook, what can lead to scalp disorders when hair is not properly cleansed?
an accumulation of oil and dirt.
The scientific method of manipulating the body by rubbing, pinching, tapping, kneading, or stroking with the hands, fingers or an instrument is called?
What are some benefits of massage?
- improved blood circulation
- relieving headaches
- diminishing fatigue
- inducing sleep
- preventing disease
- reducing fat
What must be placed between a cape and the client's neck?
neck strip or towel.
When laundering a cape, how does it need to be cleaned?
so that it is disinfected, wash with bleach.
Which type of cape is best to use for chemical services?
How do you drape for a chemical service?
towel, chemical cape, towel.
What type of shampoo will make the hair dry and brittle?
a high pH shampoo.
How is hard water softened?
with a chemical water softening process that removes salt and minerals.
Which type of water will allow shampoo to lather better?
What is one way to monitor water temperature when shampooing a client?
by placing a finger on the edge of the nozzle throughout shampoo.
When a water spill occurs what should you do?
wipe up spill immediately.
What are some benefits to brushing hair before shampooing?
- removes tangles
- stimulates blood circulation
- removes dust, dirt and product build up
Why is it best to not brush the hair vigorously before a chemical service?
so that you don't irritate the scalp and open the pores.
Where should you begin brushing when brushing hair and in what direction do you move?
ends first then work towards the scalp.
When brushing/combing out tangles in the hair, where do you begin?
lowest point of the tangled area.
What type of hair is more likely to tangle?
chemically treated hair.
When performing massage manipulations, what four things should you keep in mind?
- establish a soothing or stimulating rhythm when manipulating.
- maintain client contact throughout the massage to maintain relaxation or stimulation.
- firm, controlled movements to maximize full benefits of massage and gain clients confidence.
- be conscious of fingernail length to avoid scratching scalp. customize your own sequence.
light, gliding strokes or circular motions made with the palms of the hands or pads of fingertips. use at the beginning or end of the service. relaxing/soothing effects.
light or heavy kneading and rolling of the muscles between the thumb and fingers or by pressing the palm of the hand firmly over muscles, then grasping and squeezing with the heel of the hand and fingers. promotes circulation of blood and lymph.
light tapping or slapping movement applied with fingers or partly flexed fingers. stimulates nerves, promotes muscle contraction, increases blood circulation.
circular movement with no gliding used on the scalp or with a facial when less pressure is desired. stimulates nerves, increases blood circulation.
shaking movement, highly stimulating.
What effect do conditioners and rinses have on the hair?
- restore hairs normal pH
What can frequent use of conditioners and rinses do to the hair?
it can result in product build up that leaves the hair dull and lifeless.
What are the infection control and safety issues to remember when shampooing clients?
- if shampoo gets into the eyes, rinses immediately with tepid water.
- disinfect shampoo bowls after every use.
- always test water temp and pressure before applying to the client's scalp.
- wipe up water spills immediately.
- keep the cape outside the chair during shampoo services so water doesn't run down the client's back.
- turn the collar of the shirt under before draping to avoid getting wet.
- for longer hair, lift the hair up while rinsing to remove excess suds.