The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "Melissa"
- tags "Political science - Fresno city college"
- description "Political science -- Professor Jahal- Understand American Government - fifth edition
- fileName "Political science - Chapter One"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- According to Thomas Hobbes, what is the picture of the state of nature?
- "Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short"
What is the definition of politics?
The process of peacefully reconciling social and economic differences.
What is the definition of Capitalism?
An economic system based on private ownership of property and free economic competition among individuals and businesses.
What is the definition of Ideology?
A set of ideas concerning the proper political and economic system under which people should live.
What is the definition of Government?
The political and administrative organization of a state, nation, or locality.
What is the defenition of Collective goods?
Something of value that, by its nature, can be made available only to everyone or not to anyone at all.
What is the defenition of Positive state?
A government that helps provide the goods, services, and conditions for prosperous, equitable society.
What is the definition of Minimalist state?
A government that restricts its activities to providing only goods that the free market cannot produce.
What is the definition of Democracy?
A system o government based on majority rule, protection of the minority, and individual rights, and equality of all citizens before the law.
What is the definition of Constitutionalism?
The belief in limiting governmental power by a written charter.
What is Harold Lasswell's definition of politics?
"Who gets what, when, and how"
List the purposes of government found in the preamble to the constitution?
Perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, the general welfare, and secure the blessing of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.
In which type of system of government do citizens personally vote on laws?
What is the capitalism as a economic system based on?
Private ownership of property and free economic competition.
List the requirements for democracy?
- 1.) Majority rules.
- 2.) Protection of the rights of minority's
- 3.) Individual rights
- 4.) Equality
What three methods do political systems use to grant authority? Identify problems with each method.
- 1.) Custom and tradition - what was legitimate at one time may not be legitimate at another time.
- 2.) Charismatic leaders - power may go the head of the leader. Once the leader fails the charisma is gone.
- 3.) Rational - legal rights - slow, impersonal, more about the process instead of the outcome.
Name an American charismatic leader?
F.D.R - (Franklin D. Roosevelt)