The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is claustrophobia?
(n) An abnormal fear of narrow,enclosed spaces
I had claustrophobia
when I was little.
What is a colleague?
(n) An associate or coworker of equal status
I have many colleagues
What is condescend?
- (v)1. To lower oneself to a position one considers inferior
- 2. To behave in a offensively superior manner
(adj) Showing an offensively superior manner
It was condescending
to hear all those things being said about me.
What is a contingent?
- (adj) 1. Conditional; depending on something else
- 2. Likely but not certain to happen; possible
(n) A group that is part of a larger one
Mrs. McCain's second period class is a contingent
of Team Infinity.
What is a daunt?
(v) To discourage or intimidate
(adj) So difficult or dangerous as to discourage or intimidate
It is daunting
to talk to adults about bullies.
What is a deluge?
- (n)1. A downpour of rain; a flood
- 2. A flood of anything
(v) To flood or overwhelm
We had a deluge
What is dispel?
(v) To clear away; to remove or get rid of, as if by scattered
the wrapper of my peanut butter sandwich.
What is a dub?
(v) To give a title or nickname, or description to
I have many dubs
What is a fanfare?
- (n)1. A sounding of trumpets or other brass instruments
- 2. Any showy displayWhen I came out on stage, a fanfare played for me.
What is a fledgling?
- (n)1. A young bird just learning to fly
- 2. A young and unexperienced person
(adj) New and untested
I saw a fledgling
on my tree this morning.
What is inane?
(adj) Empty; shallow or silly
(n) Foolishness; a silly or pointless act
Mrs. Soloway's second period class is inane
What is mettle?
(n) Courage to bear up under difficult circumstances; spirit
I showed my mettle
by refusing to do my homework and got in trouble.
What is negligible?
(adj) Small and unimportant, not worth noticing
Squirrels are negligible
to cats because of their tinyness.
What is protract?
(v) To draw out or lengthen (in time)
The man in the picture is protracting
What is a replica?
(n) A copy or reproduction, especially one on a smaller scale than the original
I made a replica
of the rocketship Sally Ride rode in.