The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What two parts is the skeleton divided into?
- 1. Axial skeleton
- 2. Appendicular skeleton
What is included in the axial skeleton?
- Skull bones
- Ear bones
- Hyoid bone
- Bones of the vertebral column
- *All bones that lay along the axis of the body
What is included in the appendicular skeleton?
- Pelvis, Hip, Coxal bones
What two sets of bones does the skull contain?
- 1. Cranial bones (8) form the cranium
- 2. Facial bones (14) form the face
How are bones defined as belonging to the cranium or not?
Any bone that comes into contact with the fluid surrounding the brain is the cranium.
What is the name for the connection between two bones that are immovable?
Names (and how many) of cranial bones
- Parietal (2)
- Temporal (2)
(PEST OF 6)
forms the forehead, roofs of orbits, and most of anterior cranial floor
- Joint between temporal bone and each of the temporal bones.
- A single suture, where the temporal bone touches the temporal bones.
- (Remember coronal means frontal--this suture sits in the frontal plane)
- Two large, four-sided bones that form the greater portion of the sides and roof of the cranial cavity.
- Each of the parietal bones articulates with five other bones.
Two bones. Form your temples (region of the cranium around your ear)
- Back of the head.
- Forms posterior part, and most of the base of, the cranium
Large opening in the occipital bone at the base.
2 oval processes, one on either side of the foramen magnum