The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A solution that has a low concentration of solutes reative to an adjacent solution.
A solution that has a high concentration of solutes reative to an adjacent solution.
A solution that has the same concentration of soluts as an adjacent solution.
The movement of molecules or ions from areas of their higher concentration to areas of their lower concentration. Over time, the random movement of molecules will result in the even distribution of the material.
The movement of relatively large materials into a cell by means of the creation of transport vesicles that are produced through an invagination of the plasma membrane. One of two primary forms of endocytosis, the other being phagocytosis.
The movement of large materials into a cell by means of wrapping extensions of the plasma membrane around the materials and fusing the extensions together. One of two primary forms of endocytosis, the other being pinocytosis.
The means by which relatively large volumes of material are moved from the inside of a cell to the outside.
5 Characteristics of Life
- 1. Organization
- 2. Metabolism
- 3. Homeostasis
- 4. Reproduction, Growth, Development
- 5. Adaptations
Steps of the Scientific Method
- 1. Make Observations
- 2. Hyphothesis
- 3. Design Experiment
- 4. Collect Data
- 5. Interpret Data
- 6. Conclusion
Kingdoms of Life
- 1. Kingdom Protista
- 2. Kingdom Plantae
- 3. Kingdom Fungi
- 4. Kingdom Animalia
- Placing organisms into groups based upon evolutionary relationships.
- Domain -> kingdom -> Division -> Class -> Order -> Family -> Genus -> Species
Surface area/volume ratio
- surface area of cell must be large enough to allow adequate amounts of nutrients, gases
- & waste products to enter & leave the cell (through plasma membrane via
- diffusion or active transport)
Properties of Water
- 1. Cohesion: attraction for each other
- 2. Adhesion: attraction for other compounds
- 3. High Heat Capacity: lots of heat to raise water temp
- 4. High Heat of Vaporization: a lot of heat to evaporate
- 5. Exists as a solid, liquid, or gas
Animal: cell membranes of adjacent cells are fused, creating a tight seal ex. cells lining small intestine
intermediate filaments weld cell membranes of adjacent cells together in isolated spots ex. skin cells
channels that link the cytoplasm of adjacent cells, allowing exchange of materials. ex. heart muscle cells
- channels that link the cytoplasm of adjacent plant cells, allowing the
- exchange of cytoplasm & organelles.