The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
List (in 1 sentence each) five of the seven reasons why we should plant new churches. (Sect. 1)
- It’s the biblical pattern (cf Acts 14:23).
- New churches are more efficient in evangelizing
- There are many people not yet being reached.
- New churches often exhibit more life than older ones.
- It is one of the best ways to allow for the development of new leadership and to utilize the gifts and talents of the members.
- To reach the unchurched we need to offer them a variety of options.
- Congregations that die need to be replaced.
Match the personal motivations for church planting with their type of motivation (positive, negative, and
neither positive nor negative). (Sect. 2)
- Positive motivations
- 2.1.1 Compassion for the lost
- 2.1.2 Need for more churches
- 2.1.3 Desire to expand God’ s kingdom
- 2.1.4 Burden to reach a specific people group
- 2.1.5 God’s specific calling
- Negative motivations
- 2.2.1 Can’t get along with other Christians
- 2.2.2 Do my own thing or be in control
- 2.2.3 To prove my significance or self-worth
- Neither positive nor negative motivations
- 2.3.1 Specific personal or theological agenda
- 2.3.2 Desire to preach
- 2.3.3 No open doors in established churches
Recognize the Biblical, prerequisite character traits of a lead church planter. (Sect. 3)
- 3.1 Absolute commitment to Jesus Christ (Phil 3:8-10)
- 3.2 Track record of the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Gal5:22-23)
- 3.3 Genuine love for people, and a desire to minister to them (Rom9:3)
- 3.4 Conform it y to the qualifications for an elder (1Tim3,Titus1)
- 3.5 Free from major problems with ambition (Phil2:3;Jams3:13-18)
- 3.6 Faithful to the ministry already given (2Tim2:2;1Tim1:12)
- 3.7 Hard worker, able to endure loneliness, sacrifice (Phil3:14;4:11-13)
Recognize the essential qualities of a lead church planter according to the Fuller Evangelistic Association.
- Has visionizing capacity
- Has spousal cooperation
- Creates ownership of ministry
- Is flexible and adaptable
- Exercises faith
- Is committed to church growth
- Builds group cohesiveness
- Is intrinsically motivated
- Is responsive to his/her community
- Utilizes the giftedness of others
- Effectively builds relationships
- Demonstrates resilience
- Relates to the unchurched
List (in 1 phrase each) the six essential spiritual gifts of a lead church planter. (Sect. 5)
- 5.1 Demonstrated gathering gift
- 5.2 Able to teach
- 5.3 Organizational gifting
- 5.4 Power and impartation(Eph4)
- 5.5 Vision from God for what God wants to do
- 5.6 Gift of faith operating to believe God and work for the vision
TEXTBOOK LEARNING OBJECTIVE: Recognize the descriptions of a “mission-minded” church and a
“missional” church. (Chapter 2, Planting Missional Churches: Planting a Church That’ s Biblically Sound
and Reaching People in Culture by Ed Stetzer)