Match the key issues a church plant team faces with each stage/size of a church plant: 0-50 people, 50-100 people and 100-150 people.
- 1. Key Issues for 0-50 People
- 1.1 Gather people.
1.1.1 Pray for the people you are inviting by name.
1.2 Don’t waste time on legal or administrative issues.
- 1.3 Why are you here?
- 1.3.1 Be ready to answer, “Why are you here?” with your story and vision, not with, “I’m here to plant a church.”
1.4 Create repeatable small groups.
1.5 Focus your efforts on those that you don't have yet
1.6 Prepare two teachings every week
Set your culture towards those that don't know Jesus
- 1. Key Issues for 50-100 People
- 1.1 Keep inviting new people.
- 1.1.1 Make sure that new people know you exist for the city
- 1.2 Develop new leaders.
- 1.2.1 Have a thought out process on how you will develop them
1.2.2 Practice that process with those leaders you have
1.3 The church personality should gel.
- 1.4 Build commitment.
- 1.4.1 Have many different kinds of roles
1.4.2 Build a team of varied temperaments
1.4.3 Don't say “no” for people
- 1.5 Start working for the church at this time.
- 1.5.1 Have your board think through benefits not just salary
- 2. Key Issues for 100-150 People
- 2.1 Look for an Assistant Pastor.
- 2.1.1 A generalist
2.1.2 Someone people look to as their pastor (like you)
- 2.2 Deal with people who have their own agenda.
- 2.2.1 Somebody with leadership gifts will significantly challenge the senior leadership authority.
2.2.2 It is often somebody you really trusted, someone who has much influence.
2.2.3 You finally have something worth fighting over.
2.2.4 This usually results in a parting of the ways because of a vision conflict.
2.2.5 You should call a Vineyard USA senior pastor for guidance.
2.2.6 You must hold your authority without making them a martyr.
2.3 Save as much money as possible.