Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- the process of bringing,
- maintaining and defending a lawsuit
Pretrial Litigation Process
pretrial judgments, and settlement conference
- initiates lawsuit and it is done by the plaintiff
- Summons: a court
- order directing the defendant to appear in court and answer the complaint
- Answer: the
- defendant answers the summons by admitting/denying the claims made against them
- to the court.
- pretrial litgation process where
- the defendant doesnt answer an all the plaintiff has to prove is damages
- claiming self defense if the
- plaintiff was hurt or the statue of limitation (time to hear the case) has
Cross-complaint and reply
- part of pretrial litigation where
- defendant believes he/she has been injured by the plantiff and files a claim against them. the planitiff must reply to the cross complaint
- court combines two or more
- separate lawsuits into one lawsuit.
air plane crash mulitple people injured take all claims put them into one suit.
Statute of Limitations
- period of time in which plaintiff
- must bring a lawsuit against a defendant to sue. Statrs righ after alleged accident occured .
- legal process during which each
- party engages in various activities to discover facts of the case from the other party and witnesses before the trial:
production of doc
Oral testimony given by a party or witness prior to trial. The testimony is given under oath and is transcribed
Written questions submitted by one party to another party. The questions must be answered in writing within a stipulated time.
Production of Documents
A request by one party to another party to produce all documents relevant to the case prior to the trial.
- a hearing before a trial in order
- to facilitate the settlement of a case, pretrial hearing
Rebuttal and Rejoinder
Entry of Judgement
- only defendant can file an appeal
- in a criminal case. A notice of appeal must be filed within a prescribed time after judgment (60 or 90 days)
they do not review whole case just all areas judge makes a mistake
if you dont have a doubt guilty
if you do have a doubt not guilty
- 75 % people say guilty than defendant is
Alternative Dispute Resolution
3.) Mini trial
- expert in subject matter helps
- decide the case only takes a day or two. If you lose can appeal in court (much
- where use a neutral 3rd party to
- propose settlement of dispute. Do not make binding decisions
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview