The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- "Lipolysis/Hydrolysis of a triglyceride"
- -----Dehydration, synthesis------>
- "Saponification of a triglyceride"
- Process used to manufacture soaps (salts of FFA) from fats and oils
- "Homolytic cleavage of a covalent C-H bond and the production of two free radicals"
- Free radicals are extremely unstable and reactive species due to their elevated, high energy state
- They can survive in this state for only nano-pico seconds
- "Reaction sequence/cycle for accumulation of peroxides"
- If the propagation reaction is more frequent than either initiation or termination reaction, there will be a net accumulation of peroxides
- Peroxides are NOT the source of off flavors or odors per se, however, they ARE their precursors
- "Autoxidation overview"
- First there is an accumulation of unstable hydroperoxides in the lipid system when oxygen is present
- Peroxide breakdon first tkes place by the monomolecular reaction (forming the Alkoxy radical)
- This decomposes to short chain aldehydes, ketones etc. while also contributing to the formation of more peroxides
- At some critical concentration of peroxides the bimolecular reaction comes into play supplying both alkoxy (breakdown products) and peroxy radicals (propagation radicals)
- Reaction speeds up exponentially
"A graph measuring the peroxide value as a function of time as an oil oxidizes"