chapter 7 Leader-Follower Dynamics
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
List the ten guidelines of being a good follower.
- As a follower know your abilities and seek self-improvement.
- Being technically proficient assures we have the knowledge, skills and abilities to complete the mission.
- Obey orders and initiate appropriate actions in the absence of orders
- Develop a sense of responsibility, and take responsibility for your actions.
- Make sound and timely decisions and recommendations.
- Live and set the example for others.
- Be familiar with your leaders and their jobs; anticipate their requirements.
List and define the followership traits known as CILI.
- Competence to accomplish assigned tasks is a must for a good follower.
- Integrity for a follower means basically the same as it does for a leader. Be honest.
- Loyalty supports and enhances the effectiveness of leaders through faithfulness, obedience, and respectfulness.
- Initiative can be described as motivation, determination, perseverance, and risk-taking.
List and define each of the 6 leadership traits known as SLICED.
- Selflessness is sacrificing personal wants and needs for the greater cause which reflects the core value ―Service Before Self.‖
- Loyalty supports and enhances the effectiveness of leaders through faithfulness, obedience and respectfulness.
- Integrity for a leader means basically the same as it does for a follower. Be honest.
- Commitment is complete devotion to duty; total dedication to the United States Air Force, the unit, and our comrades.
- Energy is the enthusiasm and motivation to take the initiative.
- Decisiveness is a willingness to make decisions, act on them, and accept responsibility for those decisions.
Define leadership, followership, and unit effectiveness.
- Leadership is the art of influencing and directing people to accomplish the mission with the ability to inspire confidence and support from the people who are needed to achieve organizational goals by accepting authority and responsibility creating an environment where people want to do the job.
- Followership is the capacity to follow a leader by being competent at doing their jobs and committed to mission accomplishment.
- Unit Effectiveness is meetings unit goals with less cost and maximizing personnel participation.
To become an effective leader, you must always keep in mind two fundamental concepts: the mission and the people.
To become an effective leader you must always keep in mind two fundamental concepts: the mission and the people. a. True or b. False a. True
Describe the dynamics between leaders and followers.
Describe the dynamics between leaders and followers.The relationship or dynamics between leaders and followers is extremely important to unit effectiveness. A positive relationship between supervisors and subordinates creates an environment of mutual respect and cooperation that allows for effective and efficient mission accomplishment. In simple terms, before you can lead you must learn to follow. When you become a leader you have an understanding of what your followers expect of you as a leader. It‘s important that you know how your followers perceive you, that way you know what‘s going right or wrong and you can make the necessary steps to improve overall effectiveness and efficiency. Your goal is to be an effective leader that brings success to your unit.
List and define 3 types of personal power.
- Referent power is the personal charisma or likeability characteristics (trust, confidence, etc.).
- Expert power is his/her special knowledge or skills related to the job.
- Information power is his/her perceived access to important data and useful information like reenlistment information or promotion statistics.
Explain the Impact on Unit effectiveness.
Explain the Impact on Unit effectiveness. For you, as a leader, to promote unit effectiveness, you must embrace the leadership traits and influential skills that foster trust, teamwork, and constant improvement. In order to achieve mission success, effective leadership and effective followership are required. The Air Force needs followers who are actively involved. When followers actively contribute, they take personal pride in the art of followership, and they value the purpose of leader-follower dynamics. This achieves a higher level of mission accomplishment, and that‘s the type of unit effectiveness you should strive for.
You told your flight two weeks in advance to have their living quarters prepared for inspection. On the day of inspection, which was scheduled to take place at 1300, you had tickets reserved for a NBA game. Your pick up time for the tickets was 1200. This conflicted with the time of the inspection. You had to determine whether to go get the tickets, or stay and walk through your flight to ensure they were ready for inspection. Your final decision was to stay and confirm that your flight was ready for inspection.Using the principles learned in this chapter and the EPME Structured Thinking Process (IDDP), identify what LEADERSHIP trait was BEST demonstrated by your actions?
Selflessness is sacrificing personal wants and needs for a greater cause which reflects the core value “Service Before Self.” This also includes the courage to face and overcome difficulties. The selfless leader is always thinking about how to make the unit, the Air Force, and the country a better place. As a follower, you should always want a selfless leader who thinks of others before him\herself.
Using the principles learned in this chapter and the EPME Structured Thinking Process (IDDP), determine which action will MOST LIKELY have a positive impact on unit effectiveness?
In order for SSgt Johnson to promote unit effectiveness, he must embrace the leadership traits and influential skills that foster trust, teamwork, and constant improvement. To achieve mission success, effective leadership and effective followership skills are required. The Air Force needs followers who are actively involved. When followers actively contribute, they take personal pride in the art of followership, and they value the purpose of leader-follower dynamics. This achieves a higher level of mission accomplishment. On a personal note, SSgt Johnson will gain trust and willingness from his team if he exercises personal influence by relating to them and letting them know he’s been where they are.
Enthusiastic and motivated to take the initiative
Faithfulness to superiors, subordinates, and peers
A willingness to make decisions, act on them, and accept responsibility for your actions
Sacrificing personal wants and needs for a greater cause
A complete devotion to duty, the United States, and the Air Force
Totally committed to the highest personal and professional standards
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview