The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
define the following terms:
- 3)above or over
- 4)horn; keratin
The integumentary system can be divided into what to major parts?
- A) Cutaneous Membrane
- an organ consisting of epithelial and connective tissue.
- B) Accessory Structure
- hair, nails and various exocrine glands.
What are the 6 functions of the Integumentary System
- 1) protection (physical barrier retain body fluids)
- 2) temperature homeostasis
- 3) synthesizes vitamin d
- 4) stores nutrients(lipids stored in adipose tissue serve as energy)
- 5) sensory reception
- 6) excretion
What two tissue type produce the cutaneous membrane?
- Epithelial Tissue = epidermis
- Connective Tissue = dermis
True or False?
Is the epidermis avascular
What type of cells make up the epidermis
stratified squamous epithelium
List the five layers that for thick skin, from deep to superficial
- stratum germinativum (basale layer)
- stratum spinosum
- stratum granulosum
- stratum lucidum (thick skin only)
- stratum carneum
The body contains 4 layers of skin, what are the exceptions?
palms of your hands and soles of your feet
list the characteristics of stratum germenativum
- the deepest epidermal layer
- single layer of cell attached to the basement membrane
- contain germenativum cells which are stem cells(dividing)
- contain meloncytes(melanin transfered to the epithelial cell coloring the epidermis)
True or False?
Are the stratum spinosum produced in the stratum germinativum
What occurs in the stratum spinous? what is it classified as?
a) cells continue to divide and contribute to the thickness of the epithelial
b) spiny layer
What are the characteristics of Stratum Granulosum
- grainy layer
- displaced cells from stratum spinosum
- cells no longer divide
- cells begin to produce the protein keratin
keratin is ________ and _________. (found in nails,hair, and calluses)
- found in thick skin
- a clear layer
- consist of flattened, densley packed cells that are filled with keratin.
- the most outter/superficial layer of epidermis
- consits of 15 to 30 layers of flattend dead epithelial cells
- large ammounts of keratin keratinized cells
whats the evolution from germinativum to corneum
2to 4 weeks
Where is the dermis located? what type of tissue is it derived?
- a) beneath the epidermis
- b) connective tissue