adv world history
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
The Persian War lasted? Where?? Between who??? How????
where? Asia Minor
who? Persians vs. Athenians
how? ionia - a greek colony that rebelled got gold from athens and Darius made an example of them after that he made it his mission to take over the athenians
What was the 1st invasion of the persian was called? how many soldiers did the persians have?? the athenians ???
- the battle of marathon
- 20,000 persians
who won the battle of marathon? Was this a good or a bad thing??
bad because they got extremely cocky and believed they could take on anyone
who was general miltiades?
an athenian general in the battle of marathon who realized that the persian defence wasnt set up good so he set up a phalanx and boxed the persians in before they ever got their calvary off of the ship
how many persians died in the battle of marathon? athenians?
who was themistocles?
an athenian congressman who told them to get it together and stop being cocky because the persians were gonna come back
what ways did themistocles tell the athenians to shape up before the persains came back?
- 1. he told them to get allies
- - mostly with sparta
- 2.tells them they have to build a navy
- -200 ships in their fleet
- - light ships with bronze noses to ram the persians ships
2nd persian invasion? where?? when??? Who????
called the battle of thermopylae
spartans vs. persians
who was the persians leader in the battle of thermopolyae?
who won the battle of thermopolyae?
the spartans had the persians held off until a greek traitor led the persians to victory
Battle of salamis?
- a naval battle between the persians and the athenians
- greece rammed persians ships they fought on persian ships and they used archers greece won Signifigance - western civilization survived which led to the creation of a democracy
Peloponnesian war? Who? When? who won? Handicaps?
- athens vs. sparta
- 431-404 BC
- spartans won
- atheninans were struck with plague
King Philip of Macedonia?
- - admired greek culture
- - superb military conqured all of greece except sparta
- - assinated at his daughters wedding
- - son was alexander the great
Alexander the great?
- considered worlds 1st conqurer
- wanted to conqurer all of the east
- responsible for spreading greek culture
-Arestotal the great was his toutor
where was greece?
mainland Balkan peninsula
- no land for agriculture
- -grew grapes and olives
known as polis
difference between the city-states
1. different types of governments
2. own money systems
3. own seprate gods
1. all spoke greek
2. same religion
3. dress was similar
4. all played in olympic games
5. built on an acropolice
traditional stories that tries to explain a natural phenomonon
a prophet (delphi - greatest oracle)
king of gods (Eagle) throws lightning bolts
queen of gods, goddess of marraige (peacock)
goddess of agriculture
- zeus's daughter
- goddess of wisdom and warfare
god of sun music and prophecy
goddess of moon hunting and viginity
love and beauty
metal working, crippled
on the island of crete
Sir Arthur Evans?
King minos whos wife was said to give birth to a minotaur had a written language called linear A
knossos was destroyed?
a tital wave
found the mycenaean civilization
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview