chapter 5 part 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the four Accessory Structures
- Sebaceous Gland
- Sweat Gland
What are the characteristics of the Subcutaneous Layer?
- located beneath the dermis
- supports skin relative to deep tissue
- consists of connective tissue and adipocytes
- no bounderies between the dermis
The Subcutaneous Layer is a part of the integumentary system
List three characteristics of the dermis
- no obvious layers dividing the two layers
- contain accessory structures, lymph vessels and nerve fibers
What are the functions of the reticular layer?
- provides flexibility
- prevents damage to surrounding tissue
What are the functions of the papillary layer?
- supports and nourishes the epidermis
- contain cappillaries and nerves that supply the skins surface
- forms projections(dermal papillae) into the epidermis
What type of tissue form dermis?
Where is the papillary located?
directly beneath the basement membrane
List characteristics of Stratum Germinitivum
- basle layer
- attached to the basement membrane
- contain germinitive cells which are stem cells = dividing or increasing in #
- contain melanocytes which color epidermis
- new cells slowly migrate to the top
Describe Startum Spinosum
- spiny layer
- cells from germinitivum continue to divide
- contributes to epithelial thickness
Give four characteristics for Stratum Granulosum?
- grainy layer
- contain displaced cells from the spinosum layer
- cells no longer divide
- produce a protien called kearatin(durable waterproof)
list three places you can find kearitin
what are the characteristics of Staum Lucidum
- clear layer
- found only in thick skin
- made from flattened densly packed with kearitin filled cells
Describe The Stratum Corneum
- superficial layer of the epidermis
- contain 15 to 30 layers of flattened dead epithelial cells
hair consist of _______ filled with _____
that were produced by organs called follices.
what is the structure of hair?
- hair follicles are walls made-up of epidermis that extends into the dermis
- hair grows from the base of the h.follicle(which lies on the top of the papilla)
- hair papilla is an extension of connective tissue w/ cappilaries and nerves
- the hair attached to skin is called root
- surfacace level is part of the hair shaft
the entire hair shaft is exposed
list hair functions:
- protects underlying skin
- filters foreign substances in nose,ears,eyes
- senses physical contact with skin surface
describe arrector pilli(muscle tissue)
- a bundle of smooth muscle
- when stimulated, it pulls on the hair follice causing the hair to stand up
- stimulus can be fear, or cold temperature
What are the characteristics of the sabaceous glands?(epithelial tissue)
- exocrine gland
- secretes sebum
what is sebum?
an oily lipid that lubricates and protect hair and skin
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview