Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is Alliteration
the repetition of initial consonant sounds
From “What Was Left of James Dean”:
- “all three guys (not used
- to this kind of work) climbed into
- the cab with a collective sigh”
And later in the poem…
“…he hung horizontal…”
What is Assonance?
the close repetition of similar vowel sounds, usually in stressed syllables
- "Old age should burn and rave at close of day;Rage, rage, against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night“
"too cool for school"
What is Consonance?
the close repetition of identical consonant sounds before and after different vowels
A stoke of luck
What is Hyperbole?
a figure of speech in which emphasis is achieved by deliberate exaggeration
- I am so hungry I could eat a hundred hamburgers
- my backpack weighs a ton!
What is imagery?
- Imagery evokes the FIVE senses
- touch, taste, smell, see, and hear
the language descriptively represents things, actions, or even abstract ideas
From “The Willow Tree”
- “He sank beneath the icy waves,
- He sank down into the sea”
What is Metaphor?
- when one thing is compared to another, WITHOUT using ‘like’ or ‘as’
“life is a highway”
the reader knows that life is not a highway, yet life can be a “bumpy ride
What is Meter?
the recurrence of a pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables
From: “The Willow Tree”
“There was a youth, a cruel youth, Who lived beside the sea, Six little maidens he drowned there By the lonely willow tree.”
What is onomatopoeia?
when the words pronounced roughly imitate the sounds associated with what is being described in the poem
- For example
- the door closed with a bang
What is Oxymoron?
when two terms which contradict each other are put together for humorous or poetic effect
What is personification?
assigning human qualities to inanimate objects
the palm trees waltzed in the breeze
What is repetition?
repeating of words, phrases, lines or stanzas
- From “Highwayman”
- “When the road was a gypsy's ribbonlooping the purple moora redcoat troop came marchingmarching, marching,King George's men came marchingup to the old inn door.”
What is Rhyme?
- the similarity of ending sounds between two words
- From “Eleanor Rigby”
- “Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has beenLives in a dreamWaits at the window, wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the doorWho is it for?”
What is rhyme scheme?
the sequence in which the rhyme occurs
the first end sound is represented as the letter ‘a’, the second ‘b’, etc.
From “The Willow Tree”
There was a youth, a cruel youth,Who lived beside the sea,Six little maidens he drowned thereBy the lonely willow tree.As he walked o'er with Sally Brown,As he walked o'er with she,And evil thought came to him there,By the lonely willow tree.
What is Similie?
direct comparison of two unlike objects using the words “like” or “as”
From “The Nutcracker”
- “he hung horizontal at
- seventy miles per hour,
- loud mouth a cave, toes pointed
- like a dancer’s.”
What is symbolism?
using an image to represent an idea or belief
¡names, objects, or actions can be symbolic
spring can represent birth
autumn can represent death