Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What is the most important part of the Hebrew Bible?
What is the focus of the Biblical narrative from Genesis 12 until the birth of Jesus?
The descendants of Abraham
When did Abraham live?
in the Middle Bronze Age, 1900-1600 B.C., definitely before 1400 B.C. (Israel's slavery in Egypt)
What is the evidence indicating that Abraham lived in the Middle Bronze Age?
- Abraham lived a semi-nomadic life
- Similar accounts of this way of life are found in the archives of Nuzi, a town in northern Mesopotamia, and in the law code of Hammurabi (1700 B.C.)
What are God's promises to Abraham?
- Land and a nation: Canaan and numerous descendants. Fulfilled in the covenant with Moses.
- Kingship and a name (shem): a dynasty with political power. Fulfilled in the covenant with David.
- Blessing for all nations: salvation to the whole world. Fulfilled through the New Covenant in the Blood of Jesus Christ.
What is a Theophany?
an appearance of God
Where can we find God making the solemn covenant with Abram?
With what was the covenant oath sworn?
the sacrifice of several animals: a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old she-goat, three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a pigeon
During the sacrifice, what did the fire pot and torch that pass through the split animals represent?
God's solemn entrance into the covenantal oath with Abram
What is the nature of the Circumcision?
It is a ceremonial law or custom meant as a reminder to the people to always put full trust in God rather than to take matters into their own hands. Thus, it is a ceremonial law reminding the Hebrews of the moral law. It is not in itself a moral law.
What does the name "Abram" mean?
Exalted father (east semitic form of the name)
What does the name "Abraham" mean?
Father of a multitude (a West Semitic form of the name, indicating that Abraham belonged permanently in Canaan)
Why did Abraham name his son "Isaac"? What does that name mean?
"Isaac" means "he laughs." He was named so because Abraham laughed when God told him that his wife, Sarah, who was 90 years old, would bear him a child.
"to know someone"
a euphemism for having sexual relations
The sin of Sodom
- lack of hospitality
Who is Lot?
He is Abraham's nephew who set out with him when he traveled from Haran.
What are the two enemies of Israel that descend from Lot?
The climax of the dramatic story of Abraham
the sacrifice of Isaac
What is the connection between the Temple built by Solomon and the sacrifice of Isaac?
The Solomon's Temple was built on the height in the land of Moriah, where Abraham went to sacrifice Isaac.
What is the characteristic of Abraham's sacrifice?
unconditional faith and obedience
What is the characteristic of Isaac's self-sacrifice?
willing obedience to God's will
What does "aqedah" mean?
the binding of Isaac
How does the sacrifice of Isaac foreshadow the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross?
- The loving father (Abraham, God the Father) offers his only son (Isaac, Jesus)
- The son (Isaac, Jesus) obediently submits to the will of the father
- Isaac carries the wood of the sacrifice; Jesus carries the wood of the cross
- “God will provide himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son” (Gn 22:8). God does provide a ram caught in a thicket by his horns. The ram/lamb is a figure of Jesus “the lamb of God”; the thicket is a figure of the crown of thorns.
How does the sacrifice of Isaac contrast the pagan practice?
It shows that God does not desire human sacrifice.
Why is Abraham to be regarded the father of all Christian believers?
He was righteous because of his faith even before the demand of circumcision had been placed on him. He thus become the father of all Christian believers, which made up of the circumcised (Hebrews) and the uncircumcised (Gentiles).
Who is our father in faith and model of faith?
What is faith?
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Heb 11:1).
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview