Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is Meringue consist of?
Meringues are frequently used for what?
- 1. cookies, cake layers
- 2. topping for pies
- 3. lightness in mousses/icings
- 4. leavener: some cakes, soufflés
- 5. baked Alaska
- 6. chiffon
Common Meringue is also known as...
How is common Meringue made?
Using egg whites at room temp, beaten with sugar.
Which of the three types of Meringue is the most stable?
How is Swiss Meringue made?
Using egg whites and sugar in a double boiler until mixture is warm then machine whip at high speed until stiff.
How is Italian meringue made?
By beating hot sugar syrup into egg whites.
Beat egg whites unitl soft peak then slowly add hot syrup.
Continue to beat until meringue is cool and form firm peaks!
240˚ F (242)
What prevents egg whites from foaming properly?
Make sure equipment is free of fat or grease and egg whites have no trace of yolk.
Overbeating egg whites causes....?
Difficulty in folding into products and has lost its moisture.
What happens when you add in too much sugar?!
The volume is lost!
What gives the egg whites more volume and stability?
- Cream of tartar
- Lemon juice
Parts of egg
- 1. White
- 2. Yolk
- 3. Chalaze
- 4. Shell
1. White (albumen)
- - 90% water
- - 10% protein
- - functions: traps air/structure building/ toughener
Parts of egg
- -50% water
- - Contains fat
- - Contains emulsifier (lecithin)
- - Functions: emulsifier, toughener, provides some tenderness
- - White cord
- - Holds yolk to center of egg
- - edible
- - Porous
- - Odors can penetrate
- - Moisture from egg evaporates over time
- 1. Whipping incorporates air bubbles
- 2. Proteins denature (unfold)
- - Forms along air bubbles surface
- - Aggregates around air bubble
- - Collapse less likely
- 1. Sugar
- 2. Acid
- 3. Fat
- 4. Salt
Stability Factor 1. Sugar
- - Helps to stabilize
- - Slows denaturing
- - Over-whip less likely
- - Add slowly
- - Begin to add once foam forms
Stability Factor 2. Acid
- -Add at beginning
Stability Factor 3. Fat
- -Interferes with whipping
- -Slows/prevents whipping
- -Coats proteins
- -Interferes with aggregation of proteins
Stability Factor 4. Salt
- -Decreases stability
- -Hastens foaming
- -Leave out
Cream of tartar functions
- 1. Stabilizes meringue
- 2. Harder to over-whip
- 3. Add at beginning
- 4. 1 tsp = 8 oz egg whites
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview