07 Isaac and Jacob
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Sarah *
- Hagar (Sarah's Egyptian maid)
The son of Abraham & Hagar
The son of Abraham & Sarah
Whom did Ishmael marry?
an Egyptian woman
Whom did Isaac marry?
The sons of Isaac and Rebekah
Who is Zilpah?
Laban's maid who was given to Leah to be her maid
Who is Bilhah?
Laban's maid who was given to Rachel to be her maid
Sons of Jacob
- Reuben (L)
- Simeon (L)
- Levi (L)
- Judah (L)
- Dan (B)
- Naphtali (B)
- Gad (Z)
- Asher (Z)
- Issachar (L)
- Zebulun (L)
- [Dinah] (L)
- Joseph (R)
- Benjamin (R)
Why could Isaac only marry a woman from among his own kinsmen, not a Canaanite woman?
- Foreign women tend to lead their families astray to the worship of false gods
- If the chosen people intermarry, they could dissipate and disappear from history
Whom did Esau marry?
a Canaanite woman
Why does Isaac, after being deceived by Rebekah and Jacob, no longer have any blessing for Esau?
Because the blessing given to Jacob includes the right of being master over his brothers
What is the first major theophany in Jacob narrative?
the Jacob's ladder
Who is Dinah and what's interesting about her?
Dinah was a daughter of Leah. She got raped by Shechem, the prince of the land, a Canaanite. To avoid this amalgamation of Israelites and Canaanites, Simeon and Levi deceived the men of the town into being circumcised and, when they were in pain, killed them all.
Who are the sons of Judah by Tamar?
Who are the sons of Judah by Shua's daughter?
Er, Onan, Shelah
What was the sin of Onan?
coitus interruptus, or onanism
Other names for "The People of Israel"
Hebrews, Israelites, Jews
Who were the "People of Israel" and how were they specially called by the Lord?
- They are the first to hear the Word of God.
- They are to be further formed by the Law and the Prophets – a story that will be told in the rest of the Old Testament.
- Because of these special gifts to Israel, Israel refers to God as Father.
- Israel was chosen through sheer gratuitous love.
- After being chosen, again out of love, God never stopped saving them and pardoning their unfaithfulness and sins.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview