Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
To work meaning to do physical or mental labor is expressed by...
- Todos trabajamos much para vivir.
- We all work hard for a living
To work meaning to run or to function is expressed by the verb...
- Mi reloj ya no funciona
- My watch doesn't work(run) anymore
Shortness of height is expressed in Spanish with...
- Mis padres son bajos y por eso yo solo mido cinco pies
- My parents are short, and so I'm only five feet tall.
Shortness of length is expressed by
- Tus pantalones son demasiado cortos.Your pants are too short.
Short in the sense of consise or brief is expreessed with either corto or....
La conferencia fue muy breve (corta)
The lecutre was very brief(consise)
To look is expressed in Spanish by________ which means to look at or to watch
Quiero mirar la television
I want to watch TV
To look for is expressed by...
- Que buscas?What are you looking for?
When to look is expressed as a hypothesis (to look like to seem, or to appear)_______is used
Parece que va a llevar
It looks like its going to rain
Used alone, _____ means to think, referring to mental processes
- Pienso; luego existoI think; therfore, I am
______ is also synonmous with creer, meaning to have an opinion about something
Pensar (Creer) que
- Piensa (Cree) que se ha asimilado muy bien.He thinks (he believes) that he has assimliated very well
Followed by an infinitive, _____ means to intend or to plan (to so something)
Pensar + Infinitive
Piensan venir con nosotros?
Are they planning to come with us?
_______ ___ means to have general thoughts ( about someone or something)
Pienso en mi novio
I'm thinking about my boyfriend
_______ __ indicates an opinion or POV; it is generally used in questions.
- Que piensas de mi familia?What do you think of (about) my family? (What is your opinion of it?)
Pensar de is frequently answered with _______ ___
- Pienso que es una familia divertida
- I think it's a fun family
The English expression to consist of is expressed in Spanish with ______ ___
- La clase consiste en ejercicios practicos.The class consists of practical exercises.
To depend on corresponds to Spanish ________ ___
- Depended de sus hijos economica y emocionalmente
- They depend on their children financially and emotionally
To fall in love with someone is expressed by _________ ____ __________
Enamorarse de alguien
- Se enamoró de la hijao de unos exiliados chilenos
- He fell in love wiht the daughter of Chilean exiles
To marry is expressed by _____, followed by ____ when the person one marries is specified
- Mi abuelo se casó por segunda vez con una rusaMy grandfather got married for the second time to a Russian woman
English to dream about (of) is expressed in Spanish with....
Soñó con su esposo muerto
- She dreamed about (of) her dead husband.
_____ means story, narrative, or tale
- El cuento es largo pero muy interesante
- The story is long by very interesting
________ means bill (money owed), calculation, or account
- Mi padre me pidió la cuenta y despues me la devolvió; no la pagó el.
- My father asked me for the bill and then gave it back to me; he didn't pay it
The verb ____ expresses to pay for (something)
Tuvimos que pagar todos los gastos de su educacion
We had to pay all the expenses related to his education
To pay attention (and not let one's mind wonder) is expressed with _____ _____
Algunos estudiantes nunca les prestan atencion a sus maestros.
Some students never pay attention to their teachers
To pay attention in the sense of to take heed or to take in account is ______ ___ (___)
Hacer caso (de)
No le hagas caso; es tonto
Don't pay any attention to him; he's a fool
The equivalent of to pay a visit is _____ (___) _____
Hacer (una) visita
Vamos a hacerle visita este verano
We're going to pay her a visit this summer
_______ means to tolerate or to put up with
- No puedo soportar su actitud
- I can't stand her attitude
______ means to support financially
- Mi tio rico mantiene a todo la familia
- My rich uncle supports the whole family
______ means to support in the sense of to back or to favor
- La apoyo en la campaña politica actualI'm supporting her in the current polictical campaign
To support in the physical sense of hol or hold up is expressed by ______
Él sostiene al nino en sus brazos
He holds the child in his arms
When close refers to the physical proximenity of people or objects, Spanish uses _____(adverb), ____ __ (preposition), or ________ (adjective)
cerca; cerca de; cercano/a
- Nuestra casa esta muy cerca de la playaOur house is very close to the beach
- La ciudad mas cercana es AlbuquerqueThe closest city is Albuquerque
- Mi pariente mas cercano es mi padreMy closet relative is my father
When close describes friendship or emotional ties, ______ is used
Elena y Mercedes son amigas íntimas.
- Elena and Mercedes are close friends
_____ expresses the closeness of familiy ties (but not blood relationships)
- En genearl, la familia hispana es muy unida.In genearl, the Hispanic family is very close-knit
When to care has the meaning of to be interested in, it is expressed in Spanish by ________ (used like gustar)
Te importa si abro la ventana?
Do you care (mind) if I open the window?
To care for or to take care of is expressed with _____. When used reflexively, it means to take care of oneself
- La senora Perez cuidó a su madre por muchos anos.
- Mrs. Perez cared for her mother for many years
- Si no te cuidas, te vas a enfermarIf you don't take care of yourself, you're goingto get sick
_______ means to return to a place; with this meaning, it is synonymous with _______
Van a voler (regresar) a Espana este verano.
They are going to return to Spain this summer
_________ means to return something (to someone/ to a place)
- Tienen que devolver el libro a la bibliotecaThey have to return the book to the library
When to move means to change residence, use _____
- Como mi padre era militar, nos mudábamos constantemente.Since my father was in the military, we moved constantly
To move or to be moved from place to place- from city to city or from office to office, for example- is expressed with ________(__)
La compania la trasladó a otra oficina
The company moved (trasnfeered) her to another office
- Nuestra empreses se traslada a BogotaOur firm is moving to Bogota
Use ______(__) to express to move an object or a part of the body
- Puedes ayudarme a mover este estante?Can you help me move this bookshelf?
- Hijo! No te muevas. Hay una abeja en tu brazo.Son! Don't move. There's a bee on your arm.
Both ____ and ____ mean to feel. ____ is always followed by nouns, and ________ is by adjectives.
- Siento un gran aliveo sabiendo que vas a estar conmigo
- I feel a great relief knowing that you're going to be with me
- Me siento muy aliviada sabiendo que vas a esatr conmigoI feel very relieved knowing that you're going to be with me.
________ can also mean regret
- Siento que esto haya llegado hasta alli
- I'm sorry that it has come to this
______ ____ means to be succesful (in a particular field or activity); it emphasizes the condition of being successful.
- Viqui siempre tiene éxito en las competicionesViqui is always successful in competitions
_______ means to succeed (in doing something) or to obatain or achieve a goal; it emphasizes the action of achieving that goal. It can also mean to manage to (do something)
- Julio nunca logra bajar de pesoJulio never manages to lose ( never succeeds in losing) weight)
- Los maestros esperan lograr un aumento de sueldoThe teachers hope to obtain a salary increase
_____ means to occur, happen or to follow in succession
- No saben que va a suceder.They don't know what is going to happen
- Chretien sucedió a Campbell como primer ministro de CanadaChretien sucedió Campbell as prime minister of Canada
______ is a false cognate. Its primary meaning is to attend (a funciton) or to be present (at a class, a meeting, a play, etc). _______ is always followed by the preposition _
Pablo asistió a la reunión
Pablo attended the meeting
To attend meaning to take into account, to take care of, or to wait on is expressed with ______
- El jefe va a atender a los clientesThe boss is going to take care of the clients
To assist is expressed with ______
- Nos ayudaron muchoThey assisted (helped) us a great deal.
Enlgish to become has several equivalents in Spanish. Both _______ and ________ indicate a change in physical or emotional state. ________ can be followed only by an adjective. _______ signals a dramatic, often irreversible, change. Or it can refer to a general situation
Ponerse ; Volverse
Se van a poner furiosos
They're going to get (become) angry.
- Por que te has puesto colorado?Why have you turned red?
- Se volvió locaShe went (became) crazy
- Se esta volviendo sordo.He is going deaf
______ _ ____ and ______ are used when to become conveys the meaning of to get to be -- that is, a gradual change over a period of time. They can be followed by either nouns or adjectives. ________ usually implies a concious effort on the part of the subject, whereas _____ _ ___ may describe an effortless change
Lleagr a ser ; Hacerse
Con el tiempo, Elvis Presely llegó a ser un simbolo nacional en los Estados Unidos.
- With (the passing of) time,Elis Presely became a national symbol in the United Sates.
- Se hizo medica despues de muchos sacrificios.
- She became a doctor after much sacrifice.
The idea of because (since) is expresssed in a number of ways in Spanish. Preceding a conjugated verb, ___ _____; _______; _______ _____; or _______ can be used.
Ya que; Como; Puesto que; Porque
Ya que es muy rico, no tiene que trabajar.
Because (since) he is very rich, he doesn't have to work.
- Como (Puesto que) era muy nina, siempre hacia muchas pequenas travesuras.
- Since (Because) she was very young, she was always playing little pranks.
- Lo hicieron porque no habia remedio.They did it because there was no alternative.
Of these four expressions, only ______ cannot be used to begin a sentence. Conversely, _______ (meaning because) must be placed at the beginning of a sentence.
Question in the sense matter, subject, or topic of discussion is expressed in Spanish by _______
- Es una cuestion de gran importancia.
- It's a question (matter) or great importance
The word _______ refers to a question or interrogation
Ese nino have muchas preguntas dificiles.
- That child asks a lot of difficult questions.
To ask a question is expressed in two ways in Spanish: ______ ____ ________ and _________
Hacer una pregunta; Preguntar
La joven hizo muchas preguntas (preguntó mucho) sobre su abuela.
- The girl asked a lot of questions about her grandmother.
English both is expressed in Spanish with ___/___ ____ and _____/__, which agree in gender with the nouns to which they refer
Los/las dos ; ambos/as
Tengo dos hijas y voy al partido con las dos (ambas).
I have two daughters and I'm going to the game with both of them.
- Ambos (Los dos) socios quieren comprar las acciones.
- Both partners want to buy the shares
The English expression both.....and..... is expressed in Spanish with ______.....____..... This construction is invariable.
Tantos los perros como los gatos son carnivoros.
________ means to realize in the sense of to achieve a goal or an ambition, that is, to accomplish something.
- El estudiante realizó se sueno; sacó A en el curso.The realized his dream; he got an A in the course
_______ _____ (__) means to realize as in to be aware or to understand
Darse cuenta (de)
No mi di cuenta (de) que habia una venta.
- I didn't realize (that) there was a sale.
The expression _______ ___ + infiinitve means to do something again
Volver a +
Volvió a leer el parrafo.
- He read the paragraph again.
To miss an opportunity or deadline because of poor timing is expressed in Spanish with _______
- Maria llegó tarde y perdió el tren.
- Maria arrived late and missed the train.
To miss an appointment or an event in the sense of not atteninding it is expressed with ________ ___
Joaquin estaba enfermo y faltó a la reunión
Joaquin was sick and missed the meeting.
To miss a person who is away or absent can be expressed by either ______ __ ____ or _______
echar de menos ; extrañar
Cuando mi esposo sale de viaje, siempre lo echo de menos (extrano) mucho
When my husband leaves town, I always miss him a lot.
_________ is used to refer to money (savings)
- How en dia es dificil ahorrarNowadays, it's difficult to save (money)
________ refers to rescuing or saving a person or thing from danger
El salvavidas salvó al nino.
- The lifeguard saved the child.
To save in the sense of to set aside is expressed with _______, which also means to keep
Jose guardó un trozo de pan. Te lo guardo?
Jose saved a piece of bread. Shall I keep it for you?
________ means to transport or to take someone or something from one place to another.
- Los padres llevan a los ninos al parque.The parents take their children to the park
______ is used in many cases: to take something in one's hand, to take a bus, to take an exam, to take a vacation, etc.
- Siempre tomo cuatro classes.
- I always take four classes.
To take a trip is expressed with _______ ____ ____
Hacer un viaje
Acabamos de hacer un viaje por toda Africa.
We just took a trip through all of Africa.
To take a certain amount of time to do something, is expressed by _________ + amount of time + ___ + infinitive.
- Cuanto (tiempo) tardas en llegar a clase?How long does it take you to get to class?
to take (something) away from someone, is expressed by __________ (____) _ _______
Quitarle (algo) a alguien
De nino, Paco siempre le quitaba los juguetes a su hermanita.
As a child, PAco alwasy took toys away from his sister.
_______ __ + infinitive means to stop doing something. When used negatively, it means not to fail to or not to miss out doing something.
Por fin dejé de fumar
I finally stopped smoking.
- No dejes de visitar las ruinas mayas.Don't fail to visit the Mayan ruins.
_________ mmeans to get in the way, to hinder, prevent, or to stop sometone from doing something. With the latter meaning, _______ is often followed by the subjunctive
- Les impidió el paso la nieve?Did the snow stop (impede) you (get in your way?)
- Le van a impedir que se vayaThey are going to stop (prevent) him from leaving.
__________ means to stop or to detain in the sense of to slow down or to hold progress and also in the sense of to arrest
La nieve nos detuvo por mas de una hora.
The snow detained us for over an hour
- Detuvieron a los contrabandistas en la fronera.
- They stopped (to question or to arrest) the smugglers at the boarder)
The reflexive _______ means to stop moving or to pause
Me detuve un instante antes de entrar en la reunion de AA
I paused for a moment before entering the AA meeting.
To hurt meaning to ache (physically, mentally, or emotionally) is expressed with ____. Other Englsih verbs that correspond to _____ are to grieve and to distress.
Me duelen mucho los pies.
- My feet hurt (ache) a lot
When to hurt means to cause someone bodily injury, use _______ _____ or ________. _______ _____ can also be used in a figurative sense to mean to hurt someone's standing or status.
Hacer daño ; Lastimar
Trabajar en ese ambiente le hizo daño a (lastimó) los pulmones.
- Working in that environment hurt (damaged) her lungs
When to hurt means to injure somone's feelings, the appropriate Spanish verb is _______, although doler is also used
Se marchó sin despedirse y eso me ofendió (dolió)
She left without saying goodbye, and that hurt (grieved) me
______ and ____ ___ are used only after a negative element. They introduce information that contradicts and replaces the first element. They mean but in the sne of rather. _____ connects a word or phrase (but not a clause) to the sentence; _____ ___ connects a clause.
Sino ; Sino que
El coche no es nuevo sino viejo.
The car isn't new but (rather) old.
- No quiero que me ayudes sino que te vayas.I don't want you to help me but (rather)(that you) go away.
English not only ......but (also) is expressed in Spanish by __ _______....______(___)
No solo.....sino (que)
No solo trajeron pan sino tambien queso.
They brought not only bread but also cheese.
- No solo vino sino que trajo a sus amigos.
- She not only came but (also) brought)
_______ means to try or to make an attempt, as does _______ ___, which is always followed by an infinitve in this meaning. In contrast, ______ can be used either alone or with lo
Intentar ; Tratar de
Voy a intertarlo. No sé si tendré éxito.
I'm going to try (it). I don't know if I'll succeed.
- No sé. Trataré de haver todo lo posible.I don't know. I'll try to do all I can.
_______ ____ can also mean to deal with. The expression __ ____ ____ means it's about or it's a question of and can nver be used witha specific subject.
Tratar de ; Se trata de
Este libro trata de la Raza.
This book deals with La Raza.
- Se trata de la justicia.It's a question of justice.
When used without de, _____ means to treat someone or something in a particular way.
- Los trató sinHe treated them without respect.
______ means to try or to taste something, or to try someone in the sense of testing him or her
- Prueba el vino!
- Try the wine
- Van a probarte. No les digas nada.They're going to test you. Don't tell them anything.
___________ means to try on (an article of clothing)
Voy a probarme estos pantalones antes comprarlos.
I'm going to try on these pants before buying them.
To ask a question is expressed in Spanish by either ________ or ____ ______ _____
Preguntar ; Hacer una pregunta
No entiendo lo que me preguntas
I don't understand what (question) you're asking me.
- Los ninos hicieron muchas preguntas durante su visita al museo.The kids asked a lot of questions during their visit to the museum.
To ask in the sense of requestin something from someone- an object, a favor, an action- is expressed in Spanish by ______
Ella les pidió que hablaran en voz baja.
She asked them to speak softly
- Te quiero pedir un favor.I want to ask you a favor.