The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Process by which chemicals are broken down. Energy is released.
Light is enery source
Chemicals are energy source.
These use organic compounds as energy source.
Use inorganic chemicals as energy sources.
These obtain all carbon needed from inorganic sources.
These require organic carbon.
If delta G is negative, what happens?
- 1. Rxn occurs spontaneously
- 2. Exergonic- free energy released
If delta G is positive, what happens
- 1. Reverse rxn occurs spontaneously
- 2. Endergonic
What does a catalyst do?
Lowers activation enerfy of reaction and does not affect energetics or equilibrium of reaction.
This is the portion of the enzyme to which the substrate binds.
What are prosthetic groups?
Small non protein molecule that participates in catalytic function. They are very tightly bound, usually permanently (heme group on cytochrome)
What are coenzymes
Small non protein molecules that participate in catalytic function. They are loosely bound. A single coenzyme may associate with a number of different enzymes at different times. Most are vitamins.
What is Reduction Potentials ( E0 ')
- -Tendency to give up (become oxidized) or accept (become reduced) electrons
- -Measured electrically in regerence to H2
- -Expressed fore reduction half reaction
- -If protons involved, reduction potential is influenced by pH