Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
why were iron objects so popular?
- they were
what was the problem with the first iron?
it was brittle and broke asilly.
how was high quality iron nproduced?
Better iron was made by hammering out the impurities however to start this could only be done in small quantities the Darbys made their sucess by making qualiety iron in large quantities this was called wrought iron.
why was coalbrook dale the best place?
- -It had running water for power and transport
- -iron mines were already there
- -charcoal mines for the furnaces
what did Josiah Wedgwood do right?
- -he treated his workewrs well
- -middle clases could afford his pottery
- -he also made fine pottery for the rich
- - he was based near canals for easy transport.
the problems and solutions through out textile manufacture.
- - to start cloth could only be hand weaved so it was very slow and the cotton could not be more than arms lenght.
- John kay invented the flying shuttle which speeded up the weaving
- -now there was not enough thead for the wavers to waeve.Richard Arkwright introduced a new spinning frame powered by water which increased theard production.
- the spinning jenny was invented so 8 or 16 threads could be spun at once.
- -There was still not enough thread
- -The machine was to large for the weavers homes -Ark wright buit their first factory was then used to house the invention of the power loom.
how did factories change lives?
- people now had regular income- unlike farming
- get up the same time every day -unlike farming
- they had a job all year -unlike farming
- there were lots of rules - unlike farming
who was employed in factories?
- -there were small and nimble
- -they could be whiped
- -they could be made into apprentices
- -they could work as a team
- The poor
- -they didnt have to be payed much
- clock makers
- -they had the right training
why did they population grow?
- -people were having more children because the were sought after in factories
- - people were living longer.
- - higine improved so less mothers and babies died at birth.
why did people start moving to the citys?
- -hope of better life
- -grandear and monuments
- -entertainment (great exibition.)
- however many people who moved to london did not find wealth they ended up in very poor conditions in cramped housing.
what cause cholera?
- -people lived to close to gether
- -food higine was appauling.
- -rubbish littered the streets where children lived.
what happend to transport?
- ROADS-new and improved roads were built which you had to pay to go on. they ment that post was faster and travelling in generall was quicker and more pleasent.
- CANALS- Barges transported good along the water.
- RAILWAY- the rail way was in vented.
what did the railway do?
- -people could travel futher
- -people started going to the sea side
- -news papers could be sent from london all over the country.
- -post was speeded up
- -provided work
- -industries grew as coal and iron industies could transport goos quicker.
- -people in towns could recive fresh food
how did the rail way create jobs?
transporting goods is cheaper- goods sold for less- more people can buy goods- more sold so more needs producing-busisness men who make the goods employ more workers- more people can buy goods......and so on
why was the revolution moving so fast?
because of the slave trade.
how did the slave trade work?
what was the effect of the slave trad on africa?
- -11 to 12 million africans were taken to america between 1500 and 1850
- -many died on the way.
- -worrier kingdoms emerged with eutopian guns
who stoped the slave trade?
william wilber force in 1807 british slave trad was abolished
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview