Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the smallest particle of an element that retains all the properties of that element
a substance that cannot be decomposed into any other subtances by chemical means
6 major elements that make up 99% of the elements in all living tissue
the characteristic number of protons for each element
capacity for first 4 energy shells:
- 1st: 2
- 2nd: 8
- 3rd: 18
- 4th: 32
a group of chemically combined atoms
a molecule composed of a single element and two atoms
a molecule of at least two different elements
a force that holds atoms together
- a bond formed when one atom shares electron(s) with another atom.
- generally a very strong bond
when one atom donates an electron to another, resulting in oppositely charged ions
a weak attraction between molecules or parts of very large molecules
- a substance produced by a living organism that acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.
- reduces the amount of energy required to complete the reaction ==> increases the speed of reaction
identify the components of chemical reactions
chemical reaction components of tyrosinase:
pyrocatechol + oxygen === tyrosinase ==> quinone + water
a substance that has a pH of exactly 7
- substances that have a pH of less than 7
- an acid releases H ions when placed in water
- a substance that has a pH of more than 7
- bases release hydroxide ions (OH) when placed in water
symbol for a hydroxide ion:
symbol for a hydrogen ion:
if NaOH is a base, how would it dissociate?
NaOH ==> Na+ + OH-
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview