Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a pathway?
Pathways: Groups of axons that perform a function within the brain.
Regions of spinal cord - Review
White Matter Pathways
-Posterior column (funiculus)
What is the pathway name & function?
Posterior Column Medial Lemniscus Pathway
Pathway name: Posterior Column Medial Lemniscus Pathway:
Function: Carries general sensation from skin.
- 1) Sensation from skin.
- 2) Medulla
- 3) Thalamus
- 4) Post-central gyrus
Function. (from where to where)
From which part of the spinal cord to which part of the brain?
- 1) Carries pain from skin to spinal cord (primary afferents)
2) Relay to second order neurons.
3) Thalamus (3rd, tertiary order neurons)
(from T12 --> Thalamus --> Post-central gyrus)
*Pain/damage to the particular side causes paralyzation from that spinal nerve and down.
What is Proprioception?
(2) What part of the brain receives information from Proprioception?
1) Function: relay information called, Proprioception.
Proprioception: awareness of the parts of the body without having to look at them.
2) Brain parts: Pons --> Cerebellum (movement)
Corticospinal Pathway (pre-central gyrus)
What is the result of fiber damage?
Function: Motor neurons send info. to spinal cord to cause a voluntary movement.
85% (right, from medulla): crosses and distribute to the right side.
15% (left, medulla and below): travels down from where they originate.
*All fibers have affect on opposite side of spinal cord from where they originated.
Damage: paralysis to other side of body.
Damage to T7 (lateral funniculi on right side of spinal cord and anterior right)
What is the motor defiicit?
Where's the loss of pain?
- 85% down @ T7 and below, right side.
- 15% down @ T7 and below on left.
Loss of pain: @ T7 and below on left side.
Right side responsible for? (4)
Left side responsible for? (5)
- Right side:
- Scientific skill
- Left side:
- Musical/Artistic awareness
- Space and pattern perception
- Mental images to compare social r'ships
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview