The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the Endocrine System.
Is composed of Cells, Tissues and Organs that secrete hormones into the internal environment.
What is a hormone?
regulatory chemicals secreted into bloodstream to target cells
What is the function of the Endocrine System?
Regulate metabolic processes
What are the three hormone groups?
- Amino acid derivatives
- Peptide hormone
- Lipid derivatives
What hormones are classified as amino acid derivatives?
- Includes thyroid hormones, catecholamines (epinephrine, norepinephrine, and
- dopamine), and melatonin.
What hormones are classified as peptide hormones?
What is a prohormones?
inactive hormones that are then activated before or after release.
What is the most abundant type of hormone chemical group in the body?
What hormones are classified as lipid derivatives?
- Eicosanoids (carbon ring with fatty acid side chains)
- Leukotrienes (secondary roles as hormones)
- Prostaglandins (involved primarily in coordinating local cellular activities)
- Steroid hormones (cholesterol based)
What is the importance of lipid derivatives?
Important paracrine factors that coordinate cellular activities in extracellular fluids.
What are Steroid hormones released by?
- Reproductive organs
- Adrenal cortex
What organs release hormones as a secondary function?
Heart, kidneys, intestines, thymus, and reproductive organs