The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the three steps to getting a molecular formula?
- 1. Use empirical formula to calculate empirical formula mass from periodic table.
- 2. Divide molar mass given in problem by the empirical formula mass.
- 3. Multiply subscripts of the empirical formula by your answer from #2.
What are the four steps for determining the empirical formula?
- 1. Assume % is mass (grams)
- 2. Convert grams to moles
- 3. Divide by smaller number
- 4. Multiply to get whole numbers
Name the 7 diatomic molecules.
hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine
Why do we care about stoichiometry?
- Companies use stoichiometry to reduce waste, keep costs down and create products that work.
- We use ideas of stoichiometry in our everyday lives.
How many steps are used to convert the following:
1. grams to grams
2. moles to grams
3. moles to moles
4. grams to moles
How do you calculate the percent yield?
First calculate the theoretical yield (the amount produced in a perfect reaction). This is a gram to gram (4 step problem).