Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo-
- * Saw himself steadily marginalized in his own native land, despite his efforts to stay at the forefront of change.
- * one of eight californios to serve in California's constitutional convention, and was subsequently elected to the first state senate.
- * Around 1846
- * Led a victorious Mexican and Indian expedition against an Indian revolt at the San Jos� mission
- * critical of much of Mexican upper class society and government
- * military commander, politician, and rancher